Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with the memory cards!!

When I bought my Kx about a year ago, I also purchased on Amazon a Trascend 16 GB card (class 6). Everything went fine until I filled the card and replaced for a new one, not Trnascend by Pony, then a Another and another (Class 10 all of them). After a few shots, I start getting the signal MEMORY FULL. I have to turno the camera off, take the card, and place it again. I have to take the next photo, wait a while, then play the preview to see it. If I do it too soon, the CANNOT SHOW PICTURE shows up. I just ordered Transcend cards from Amazon, I am waiting for them. Shouldn't Class 10 be better, or does teh Kx does not support Class 10? The Pony cards were SDSX are those for still photography or for videos? I apprecaite your help, I am going crazy with this issue, wasting good shots. Thanks, Pepe

09-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

There have been numerous threads about SD cards. The basic outcome is that it does not pay off to get a cheap card. Get a reliable card or better 2 reliable cards. I have my self 2 Sandisk class10 (8 Gb and 16 Gb). Simply get a good quality one like a Sandisk Extreme III. They are not expensive and can be found on special deals from time to time.
09-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

You can also try formatting the card in the K-x. That will sometimes clear up the incorrect space issues.
09-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've always had really good luck with SanDisk Extreme cards, and I've had real bad luck with Transcend cards (class 10). If you want a good card I've got one for sale over at the marketplace. Link.

09-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any brand's flash memory can fail, and different batches differ in quality too, but the cheap brands fail more often. Personally I favour MIJ Panasonic & Toshiba, Sandisk comes 2nd.
09-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have never had a card issue with Transcend (I have 5 of their smaller cards but use a 16GB class 6 all the time), nor with SanDisk and Lexar cards.

The stock K-r may not support the newer classes.
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't thing any Pentax camera takes SDSX memory cards (yet).
09-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Incorrect. Please check your sources before providing inaccurate info.

The K-7, K-x, K-5 and K-r support all SDXC cards with the latest firmware update (Source: Pentax-Imaging Support website http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/manuals-and-literature/)..

09-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
That was probably my mistake then. The whole thing started with them. I also notice that this happens when the battery is very low. Once I replace new batteries, it seems to stop doing this, but I have not notice until now.
09-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With regards to what hcc posted above, is your camera's firmware fully updated?
10-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just got the K5 last night and with the SanDisk Extreme and I had had no problems. I was referring to problems with the Kx, I have never updated it with any firmware. Do Kx need firmware update?
10-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think the K-x does need a firmware update to use SDXC type cards. I know the K-r does, and it's newer...
10-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Incorrect. Please check your sources before providing inaccurate info.

The K-7, K-x, K-5 and K-r support all SDXC cards with the latest firmware update (Source: Pentax-Imaging Support website Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site)..
Thanks for this. I actually went to the Pentax support web-site to check before posting.