Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help with lens fungus.

I just picked up a Pentax-f 1.7 50mm at an estate auction. I was not able to check the lens very well and it appears to have a small amount of fungus on the outer edge of the front element. It does not seem to effect the image at all,or at least from what I can tell. I considered trying to clean it, but when I looked at removing the front half of the lens, it seems someone else tried and stripped out a screw. That's not the worst part they must have tried to drill out the stripped screw. I suppose a pro might be able to remove it. I wanted to know if you think it would be worth the cost, and if I have to worry about the fungus growing more and effecting the image. Everything else on the lens works perfectly. I originally had hoped to clean it up and sell it to put towards a fast zoom. Thanks in advance.

10-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The fungus might be dead and what you see is the residue and the damage done by it...the usual advise is shoot shoot shoot with it, the uv rays affect the fungus and bother it's qrowth...keep it in a dry environment, use dessecants...
You can consult prices or use a very fine work dremel with a good drill point to strip the screw out.
In any case watch closely to see if the size of it augments.
10-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The usual non-invasive treatment is to burn it with UV or leave it in sunlight for a few days. The latter might be difficult, depending on where you are in Oregon! Store the lens in a sealed container like a Tupperware thang with a desiccant to prevent fungal growth. Small sacrifices to the spirits of purity help too. Especially squirrels. Where's Otis? [/me sharpens sacred scalpel]

Last edited by RioRico; 10-02-2011 at 11:39 AM.
10-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the advice, I will put it in the sun. About drilling out the screw, do I need to worry about metal shavings entering the lens?

10-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I spent all day at estate sales yesterday and all I could find was an ME they wanted $65 for. How come I never see any F glass?

Fungus needs warmth, moisture and something to eat. Remove any one of those three and it dies. Highly unlikely it is still alive, what you are seeing is the remaining tendrils. UV light is great to kill it, but just keeping it out of damp dark basements is usually all that is needed.

I cannot tell you how many cameras and lens I have dug out of a damp garage or basement at an estate sale, often too much fungus or corrosion to bother. It makes you want to cry.

As RioRico says, the use of desiccants can also help and I save all the packets that come with new things to put in the case with my less used lens. The ones in my carry bags I don't worry about as they see enough light and use to not get fungus as long as I keep them out of the rain.
10-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
ya I couldn't believe my luck when I saw it. I still wish It was free of these little defects, I would have loved to of sold it to put towards a fast zoom. I can't complain though it is a fantastic lens, and luckily the fungus doesn't seem to effect the image. Thanks for the help guys.
10-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adamc Quote
I considered trying to clean it, but when I looked at removing the front half of the lens, it seems someone else tried and stripped out a screw. That's not the worst part they must have tried to drill out the stripped screw.
It would be interesting if you could post a photo of this failed attempt to clean it, if possible
10-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

May I interest you in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/153858-how-remove-fungus-50mm-f1-7-lens.html Sir ?

You should be able to fix the stripped screws by 'notching' the head to accept a flat head blade... usually 1-2 sizes up on the blade and some gentle persuasion should get it to bite...

10-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
May I interest you in How to Remove Fungus: A 50mm F1.7 lens Sir ? You should be able to fix the stripped screws by 'notching' the head to accept a flat head blade... usually 1-2 sizes up on the blade and some gentle persuasion should get it to bite...
Well documented link Adrian. I go about it more or less the same way, that is why I would like to see how this attempt failed, as it is actually not that difficult to do
10-03-2011, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adamc Quote
Thanks guys for the advice, I will put it in the sun. About drilling out the screw, do I need to worry about metal shavings entering the lens?
The F50/1.7 has three screws around the front barrel, visible when you focus to the minimum distance. Shavings from these screws can fall into the focus threads. Put the lens with the front element down to be safe. The screws have a large shoulder so drill a lot.

Then you can unscrew the group of front elements with the spanner slots provided. Mine came off with just my incredible grip strength. That group comes apart further into individual elements, I suspect by removing the trim ring around the front element with a friction tool, then some screws. I have some screws that look like this in my spare parts; they might be from an SF1.
10-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
Sorry it took so long, here's a pic. Do you guys think it is worth trying to get the stripped screw out? Or should I just leave it?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/imgp6875u.jpg/

10-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I would just leave it judging from your original description, follow the advice to try and kill it, and keep an eye on it. Enjoy the lens.

10-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #13

Original Poster
thanks guys.