Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

DA 18-55 WR do not focus

Hi,
This is my first post here, and unfortunately Iīm not writing to say I loved my brand new K5...
My dad just came back from the USA yesterday, and brought to me, my dreamed Pentax K5, w/ a 18-55 and 50-200 WRs lenses.
They were purchased last week on BH. My cousin, that lives in USA, apparently tested the gear there, and didnīt notice any flaw, but I donīt know how he tested it or even if he tested both lenses.
Problem: yesterday, I just took a look at the camera for no more than 5 minutes, and honestly I donīt remember which lens was atached to the body. Today, I got my hands on my K5 and manual for the very first time to start learning and.... the 18-55WR didnīt function! It didnīt AF, despite the AF lever was put on AF-s or AF-C, It only displays MF at the info screen and the viewfinder! I changed it for the 50-200 several times and it didnīt AF, the 50-200 did, always. Another odd thing is that every time I atached the 18-55, a message appeared on the LCD to "input the focal distance", and apparently the camera "didnīt know" what lens was attached to the body, since, at the AV mode, I set the aperture to 3.5, 2.8, or 2 and it accepted (independent of focal distance) and w/ the 50-200 it always stopped at itīs wider aperture for any focal distance.
While I, turned on my PC, registered here, posted my introducing post, and was writing this thread, it suddenly came back to AF! I cannot understand, and Iīm not so confident w/ the system anymore. Iīm starting to regret I didnīt buy the Nikon D7000 (I was in doubt between both until minutes before I confirmed the order at BH!). Do you think is better to return the lens and/or body to BH? (This would be a HUGE trouble to me, since I live in Rio de Janeiro-Brazil and the camera is no longer in the USA)
Please, any tip will be helpful.
Thanks in advance

10-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any brand's products can have the occasional glitch; no need to change systems over it. Most likely, the lens wasn't fully mounted, or there was a piece of dirt or something covering one of the electrical contacts on the lens.
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Could just be dirty contacts on the lens mount, as Marc suggests.

Try either cleaning the contacts or just take the lens off (and on again) a few times.
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Marc and John, probably the contacts or the lens not mounted all the way until it clicks in place. (hopefully)

10-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rogertmac Quote
at the AV mode, I set the aperture to 3.5, 2.8, or 2 and it accepted
The camera is allowing you to set it at this wide aperture (f2.8 - f2) using the lenses you mentioned? There's definitely a miscommunication between the body and the lens. Agreed with the posts above, it's more than likely poor contacts for whatever reason. As suggested, try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount with contact cleaner but be careful not to over-spray around the mirror or sensor area.
10-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
The camera is allowing you to set it at this wide aperture (f2.8 - f2) using the lenses you mentioned? There's definitely a miscommunication between the body and the lens. Agreed with the posts above, it's more than likely poor contacts for whatever reason. As suggested, try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount with contact cleaner but be careful not to over-spray around the mirror or sensor area.
Yes, K57, when the lens was not AFocusing, the camera allowed apertures that were incompatible with it. And as I mentioned before, everytime I atached the lens, a message "input the focal distance" appeared at the cameraīs LCD. (I couldnīt find any information about this message neither on the cameraīs nor on the lensesī manuals). On the last hours, I was able to test the camera several times, and the problem didnīt come back. My concern is that, I did exactly as you guys posted: I disconnected, atached and cleaned the contacts, several times for more than 1 hour, when I finally gave up and decided to enter this forum for help. Now the lens is apparently perfect, but Iīm afraid it comes w/ the same problem later when it will be more difficult to try any change of the lens at BH.
Anyway, thank you very much to all you guys.
10-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
As suggested, try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount with contact cleaner but be careful not to over-spray around the mirror or sensor area.
Spray the cloth not the camera.