Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Small tip to add, about essential gear. Get yourself a good lens hood. It's really vital for cutting down on glare/flare when shooting around bright lights, or in sunlight. It will also help keep twigs and such from touching the front element of your lens when walking around. You can get cheap threaded ones on ebay (the collapsible, 3 position ones) starting at about $2, and hard plastic ones for a bit more. Either is fine, people have their preferences. Personally, I'm becoming partial to the soft rubber ones that collapse. Remember that you need to get one that matches the front thread of your lens, 52mm in this case, for the kit 18-55 DA-L.

There's also a Pentax bayonet type hood available for your kit lens. I don't see any great advantage to it, but I know some people prefer them. They're more expensive. The threaded ones are also compatible with any lens of the same thread diameter, whereas a lot of older lenses don't have the bayonet lugs on the lens barrel.

Anyway, more info than you want, I'm sure. TL;DR is just get one, it's a cheap item that has a very practical use.

10-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KrysFL Quote
Other than the Understanding Exposure book and all the wonderful information on this forum, any other good books or sites I should check out?
Check out Adorama TV on Youtube with Mark Wallace, he's got a slew of videos covering just about any topic you can think of, and they're free. adoramaTV's Channel - YouTube
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than the Understanding Exposure book and all the wonderful information on this forum, any other good books or sites I should check out?

Thanks again!
A local library will have a lot of books on photography. They might seem irrelevant at first, because all the equipment is different. Ignore equipment and look for techniques like composition, lighting, using depth of field, etc.

It's easy to get overloaded with information, so set some limits. As suggested, avoid the temptation of new equipment for a while, because it will add more things to learn. Maybe think about one type of shot, portraits for example. Look at your existing portrait shots. Do some research on shots you like, books on portraits, etc. Take some more shots. You probably will not "master" portraits, but when you improve, move on to something else.
10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #19

Your local library should have any number of good books on photography that can help you out.

Also, as was previously stated get a good lens hood. I would recommend the Pentax branded one for your kit lens. I bought a couple of cheap third party hoods and they are really loose. The Pentax hood fits snugly on my DAL 18-55 lens.

Did you settle on software? How did you like Lightroom? I use both Picasa and Photoshop Elements 8.0.

10-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
Now that you have downloaded Lightroom, I thoroughly recommend that you go to this Adobe site and watch the lightroom tutorials

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 - LR - Create Stunning Images | Adobe TV

Lightroom is a great program and will cover about 90% of your editing needs.

Peter
Wow the videos helped ALOT!! Thanks for the suggestion!
10-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Small tip to add, about essential gear. Get yourself a good lens hood. It's really vital for cutting down on glare/flare when shooting around bright lights, or in sunlight. It will also help keep twigs and such from touching the front element of your lens when walking around. You can get cheap threaded ones on ebay (the collapsible, 3 position ones) starting at about $2, and hard plastic ones for a bit more. Either is fine, people have their preferences. Personally, I'm becoming partial to the soft rubber ones that collapse. Remember that you need to get one that matches the front thread of your lens, 52mm in this case, for the kit 18-55 DA-L.

There's also a Pentax bayonet type hood available for your kit lens. I don't see any great advantage to it, but I know some people prefer them. They're more expensive. The threaded ones are also compatible with any lens of the same thread diameter, whereas a lot of older lenses don't have the bayonet lugs on the lens barrel.

Anyway, more info than you want, I'm sure. TL;DR is just get one, it's a cheap item that has a very practical use.
Added the hood to the list.. Thanks!!
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by speedtrap63 Quote
Your local library should have any number of good books on photography that can help you out.

Also, as was previously stated get a good lens hood. I would recommend the Pentax branded one for your kit lens. I bought a couple of cheap third party hoods and they are really loose. The Pentax hood fits snugly on my DAL 18-55 lens.

Did you settle on software? How did you like Lightroom? I use both Picasa and Photoshop Elements 8.0.
So far Lightroom seems amazing.. a little complex but I made 3 crappy photos looks fantastic in a short period of time so I think I am going to play with it and will touchbase again on the outcome.

Not a fan of Picasso and havent tried PhotoShop Elements yet.
10-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #23

So far Lightroom seems amazing.. a little complex but I made 3 crappy photos looks fantastic in a short period of time so I think I am going to play with it and will touchbase again on the outcome.

Not a fan of Picasso and havent tried PhotoShop Elements yet.
Haven't tried Lightroom, but based on what you and others have said, I may give the trial a go. Kind of expensive though, so it would have to be much better than Elements for me to buy it. Elements is good, a little overly complex sometimes, but can do pretty much everything I need to do.

10-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by speedtrap63 Quote
Haven't tried Lightroom, but based on what you and others have said, I may give the trial a go. Kind of expensive though, so it would have to be much better than Elements for me to buy it. Elements is good, a little overly complex sometimes, but can do pretty much everything I need to do.
Once you download the trial, make sure that you watch the how-to videos (the link is on page one of this thread)... they helped me tremendously!
10-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

if you do not want to shell out the cash for Lightroom, Raw Therapee is a free raw editing and conversion program. Here's the download page. RawTherapee Downloads
10-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #26
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Some lenses you will find on e-bay, in the Marketplace here at pentaxforums.com, in the "used" department at camera stores and in other retailers' websites are screwmount (m42) lenses. You'd need an adapter to use them on a bayonet-mount Pentax. Many Pentax users recommend buying a genuine Pentax adapter rather than some of the "off brand" adapters, as some of the latter get stuck.
10-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Many Pentax users recommend buying a genuine Pentax adapter rather than some of the "off brand" adapters, as some of the latter get stuck.
A note on M42-PK adapters: Everybody with a very few screwmount lenses should have one Official Pentax adapter. It mounts in the camera; lenses are (un)screwed to it. It's safe and costly and rather tedious. It's ok if we don't swap lenses much.

Those of us with MANY screwmount lenses usually own a bunch of cheap clone adapters. We remove the screw and spring-clip so the adapter DOESN'T get stuck on the camera AND DRIVE US APESH!T! Then we tighten the adapter on the lens, using a rear lens cap as a wrench, and the adapter stays there for the duration. Easy to apply, easy to remove, and I haven't lost any yet!

Those of us doing macro with tubes or bellows, or closeup or portrait work where infinity doesn't matter, use one or more cheap safe wide-flange no-infinity-focus adapters. These are also good on long teles that normally focus past infinity anyway.
10-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can buy Lightroom (and lots of other Adobe applications) at significant discount if you are a student, teacher, or even have a school-age/college stident child. See Academic Superstore : Academic Software discounts for students, teachers and schools, and other sites like it.