Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You and I disagree on the blowers but here's the article which is based only on my own experience. Most of it with the K10d. With later cameras I haven't had much need to invade the mirror box with a foreign object other than the occasional rocket blower blast and once or twice with the Pentax cleaning kit.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

The blower serves best for the fuzzy type dust that the shaker won't remove. Though they are optical cleaners, Pec Pads are not recommended (by the maker) for sensor cleaning. From what I understand however Canon simply uses one held by a pair of tweezers (pickups, forceps) to do their factory cleans. The Sensor swab people Use to provide a guarantee that if you damaged the sensor using their materials and methods, they would pay the cost of repair.

I say use each method at your own risk. While most could be deemed 'safe' each has caused someone somewhere, a problem but it seems rare. Other than dicko3000, I only personally know of 2 people who have actually 'scratched' the AA filter. All were with methods that require one to drag something across the filter.

Well considering that he cut his sensor swab to attach the pec-pad to it, no amount of guarantee will cover that.

10-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #17

Original Poster
yes I'm sure it was the cut swab that did it. silly i know but i was fed up with the crud and made a mistake. You live and learn.

ps thanks for all the replies it's definitely scratched and I would second avoiding the blower.
10-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well considering that he cut his sensor swab to attach the pec-pad to it, no amount of guarantee will cover that.
I don't think Their Method involves cutting the swab stick. I Have reused them however, for other things.

10-05-2011, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #19

That's me over on the other forum asking for dead bodies

In this case the item that is marked is the IR-blocking filter. That is held in a little metal frame in front of the sensor assembly. I have several spare ones (unmarked) that have come out of other cameras.

Here's the filter in position on the sensor block - angled to show that it is a dichroic filter:

and this is what it looks like on its own:

That's what you clean when you poke around inside the camera - the sensor itself is not exposed.

As others have stated one solution is to have the camera converted to IR, which would involve exactly the same procedure as swapping the IR-blocking filter for an unmarked one, except the new filter would be an IR-passing one. To the OP - if you want to discuss that please PM me.

10-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So let's say there was another person that fried their K-x when they fell in an ocean. Would this be a match made in heaven? How difficult is it to replace this piece? What are damaged cameras worth?
10-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
So let's say there was another person that fried their K-x when they fell in an ocean. Would this be a match made in heaven? How difficult is it to replace this piece? What are damaged cameras worth?
Assuming no lasting water damage on the optical part then removing the filter isn't a big job on the donor camera, since it wouldn't need much care to be taken. The work comes in replacing the scratched filter on the good camera, there are quite a few wires to detach and later re-solder since this involves getting the whole SR unit out from under the main board.

A dropped camera could be a good source of parts, but water tends to ruin just about everything.
10-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karma mechanic Quote
Assuming no lasting water damage on the optical part then removing the filter isn't a big job on the donor camera, since it wouldn't need much care to be taken. The work comes in replacing the scratched filter on the good camera, there are quite a few wires to detach and later re-solder since this involves getting the whole SR unit out from under the main board.

A dropped camera could be a good source of parts, but water tends to ruin just about everything.
It was only a splash. Only trace amounts on mating surfaces. I was told that it could be repaired for a similarly expensive price so I paid an extra $50 and bought a K200D instead. but this is definitely a project for a pro or an electronics enthusiast. I would break more things than I would fix.