Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Scratched K-x viewfinder

Was in Helsinki for a short trip over the weekend and I was happily shooting when it started raining. Got some water on my viewfinder so I cleaned it with my shirt but ended up scratching it!

The scratch isn't like a line across but as though the whole surface was eroded away... Probably the coating wore out.

Was reading another thread and they suggested toothpaste, but now it became a bit blurry.

Anyway encountered this problem before?

10-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toothpastes contain up to 50% abrasives. I'm not suprised at the end result.I would guess a new viewfinder eyelens will be required.
10-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Oh no.

Actually after googling hard enough I found this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/102950-ist-bl...placement.html

Looks like I have to contact a Pentax retailer locally... here in Stockholm they don't seem to be too popular...
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

If the K-x viewfinder is like the K-m one then it isn't as accessible as the DS one in that link.

Here's a view of the K-m:

You can see one of the eyepiece screws immediately to the left of the ribbon connector at the top of the main board, the other isn't all that evident but is in the shadow to the left of the eyepiece. However, I don't know if the K-x is exactly the same.

10-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
We'll know when I manage to get my hands on one replacement viewfinder

A retailer quoted me $44 for the viewfinder... So expensive, and so out of the way too.

Any one has got alternatives?