Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

probably a dumb question

please tell me how do I change my shutter speed for night shots? I would like to do long exposures but haven't quite figured out how.

Im using a Pentax K-x. Thanks

10-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set the camera to M exposure mode on the dial on the top of the camera.
Then use the command wheel on the back to set a long shutter speed, for example 10 seconds.
Then press the Av button and use the same dial to set the aperture, for example 5.6.

Take a shot (camera mounted on a tripod) and check the result on the screen. If too dark, set a longer shutter speed and or a larger aperture (smaller number). If too bright, do the opposite.

For best results you may want to use a relatively low value for ISO, such as 400.

If you need shutter speeds longer than 30s you need to use bulb mode and time the opening of the shutter yourself. That's another story.
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's one way, but really, the camera knows how to do this without any help. Just make sure you have the flash turned off, and even in Auto mode, the camera will figure out it needs a slow shutter speed. "M" mode lets you control exactly how slow, of course, but the default chosen by Auto will often be good, except maybe for taking pictures of the sky.
10-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For most night shots of still objects, you'd be best to shoot in Av mode, set the aperture at about f/8, set the ISO to 200 or less (this bit is very important, you must take your camera out of auto-ISO and choose a low ISO), and then let the camera determine the shutter speed for you. Obviously you need your camera to be on a tripod. Good luck

10-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
THANK YOU!

M-mode worked! I did some cool glow-in-the-dark stuff in my son's room but have been unable to take a picture of it cause, even in auto mode, the shutter speed was just too fast. In auto, the camera was refusing to take the pic. I've been using Av but, honestly, didn't know that it went far enough to the left to come out of the fractions. Sad, I know, but I just didn't try and was afraid to alter too much and not get it back to "normal." Mostly, I'm a fan of outdoor shots where faster shutterspeeds are typical. I needed to know this, though, cause I want to do more dark pics on our next disney trip.
10-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest using the "bulb" speed. That's what I use when I shoot dark stuff. If you don't have a manual, you can download one online. They are always handy to have.