Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Understanding zoom distance/range

I'm in the market for a telephoto zoom lens. Before I spend my unborn child's savings on it, I need help understanding the range of a lens relative to its zoom specs. For example, at what maximum distance can a 50-135mm lens shoot a portrait of a person's face? Is there a link somewhere in this wonderful internet world that explains this? If not, would someone please educate me about it? I've already googled up several permutations of the words range, zoom, distance, how-to, etc. but I haven't found anything that answers this question plainly.

The purpose of the lens is to eventually take some pictures of folks dancing in a social dance studio/club. I currently have the kit lens, 18-55 and a fast 50 prime. I'd like to get the 60-250 f4 cause it'll fulfill my long range needs and the reviews for it seems great. However, the dance environment I plan to shoot in will be relatively dark so I'm thinking the faster 50-135 f2.8 might be needed. I just don't know how far 135mm can zoom in on a couple on the dance floor, thus my question.

Thanks in advance!

10-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At 135mm, one person's face starts to fill the frame at 7 feet or so. I'd say 10 feet if you want a little space around a face, 6 feet is kind of extreme close-up. Unless you have to be really far away, the 50-135 will be OK, and the extra speed will be useful.
10-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can use the following calculators to get an idea

Lens focal length calculator
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm (scroll down to 'Dimensional Field of View Calculator')

And if you have been shooting the dancers with your fast 50mm prime, 135mm will make the subject about 2.5 times bigger on the photo (135/50) and 250 will make the subject 5x bigger on the photo (250/50)

Example for the first calculator above:
dancer being 1.8meter tall
camera in portrait (so 24mm for the image size)
distance 5 meters
==> focal length is 65 mm

double the distance and you will have to double the focal length
10-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Image size = Object size x Focal length / Subject Distance

To use offline I downloaded this "Barnack" program & have on my desktop. Its similar to the DOF calculators but also give the image size.
Download from this site: Barnack

You can also load up an image youv'e shot, and it will read the exif and load those variables into the application, however the focus distance isnt in the exif data though (for Pentax anyway) so it doesnt get the image size right unless you know the approximate distance to the subject.

EDIT: oops! corrected formula (thanks Mr Goudge). It was was right in my head but the fingres got it wrong.

Last edited by steve1307; 10-12-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: correction
10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Steve you have a little error in your formula

for distances >> focal length, the formula is

image size = subject size x focal length / subject distance

When I say distance is >> focal length, this means typically distance is more than 10-20 x focal length. for example with a 50mm lens between 1/2 and 1 meter and above. when you move in close there is a more accurate formula but....
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the links to the calculators and the other explanations.