Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Put on the invisisble shield to protect monitor?

I have new K-R camera. Has anyone put the invisible shield on the monitor of your camera to protect against scratching? I can be rough on things. This is the plastic covering that might be used on your mp3 or to protect your phone glass.

Or do not use it cause it might take away from clearly see the picture when on the monitor?

10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't see any reason not too. When taking pictures you are generally going to be using the viewfinder, not the screen anyway. If you are previewing an image, you can always zoom a little to check focus ans sharpness and such so I would think a good screen protector would be negligible.

Personally I use a hard one. It has a pop open shade that can be slid on and off but I never use the shade as I would forget to close it and poke myself in the eye when going to take a picture.
Delkin eFilm Pop-Up Shade Universal LCD screen hood
10-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use this one:
Hoodman Super Hoodskins (Model SHSK 3) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

After 6 months of use, I found that it is perfect for my usage. It does not affect the LCD image, it is quite strong.

Hope that the comment may help.
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't use a LCD protector and after nearly three years I haven't scratched my Km. I do use them on my cellphones, but they have the possibility of rubbing against my keys or pocket change. My camera is either out and in use or stowed safely away. If I handled it differently I might consider the protector, but, as it is, I can't imagine a situation where I'd really need it.

Of course, it can't really hurt to have one and it's really dependent upon how you care for your camera.

10-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atomic Quote
I have new K-R camera. Has anyone put the invisible shield on the monitor of your camera to protect against scratching? I can be rough on things. This is the plastic covering that might be used on your mp3 or to protect your phone glass.

Or do not use it cause it might take away from clearly see the picture when on the monitor?
The GGS Digital Camera Professional LCD Screen Protectors are very good in my experience.
10-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Of course, it can't really hurt to have one and it's really dependent upon how you care for your camera.
It's not just that but also how hard/scratch resistant your screen is on your camera or phone or whatever. Some scratch very easy and some do not. I'm not sure about the k-r but most of the time I have had my ds, it has not had protection and it never got scratched up. I really only have it on it now because I was using the shade for a while but took it off and never bothered to remove the backplate/protector. I hardly notice its there.
10-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a cheap one I bought on eBay for something like three for $5.00. After three and a half years, the plastic is not scratched, so the LCD probably wouldn't be, either.

OTOH, the things are dirt cheap and do no damage. This is not like the religious wars that pop up over whether to use a protective UV filter on the front of your lens. Those aren't so cheap (at least for a good one) and they can cause lens flare, so there is a downside to them.

Not so the LCD protectors. They may protect your LCD from harm, or they may not be necessary. But, they do no harm. At worst, they are unnecessary.

If I ever replace my K10D, I'll probably get one for that camera as well.
10-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Promaster LCD Screen Protectors (2016)

I've used These on Every camera I've owned. There is no degradation of the display that I can see. There is enough in the package to do 3 or 4 devices (after you screw the first one up). When it gets smudged (by nose prints and the like), just wipe it off with whatever you have handy. It won't break, crack, or scratch. Once you get it on there properly it won't come off either unless you pull it off. Not in my experience anyway. The one gotcha with it is you have to get it on there right otherwise you'll have air bubbles underneath that can be a little annoying.

10-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On my K-5, I used a super thin glass product. Unfortunately, I can't find the receipt to tell you where I bought it from. It was around $20 I believe, and I like it MUCH more than the film type products. It's crystal clear and much easier to clean the prints my big honking nose leave on it than the film ones are.
10-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I'm with noblepa on this one. You can buy cheap ass protectors on ebay for only a few bucks that work perfectly fine. I use them on all my cameras without any problems. They can be a bit tricky to put on without getting dust under them but once on they are perfectly clear. It really comes down to the question of why wouldn't you use one?.
10-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought a 3 pack of some dirt cheap protectors for a Blackberry for around a buck on eBay & cut them to fit. Works like a charm.