Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Yellow specks or highlight when view picture

Ok am I doing wrong when you take a indoor picture or night picture and when you go to view it after taking it. You see yellow specks around dark areas. For example on a black cushion on wooden chair there were yellow specks blinking, does it mean the exposure should have been changed?

10-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It'd help a lot if you post a picture with the exif intact, showing the problem.
10-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its not a problem, its a useful feature. This is the parts of the image that is severely underexposed. It would also indicate the brighest parts of the image that are clipped to white, these flash in red highlight.

If you don't want it to do that you can turn it off on the Playback menu by unchecking the "PlayBack Display Method - Bright/Dark Area" box
10-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It'd help a lot if you post a picture with the exif intact, showing the problem.
Ok no problem not the best computer user. I believe I know how to transfer picture to computer. But will need for you to reply with instruction on how to keep the exif information with the picture when i load it onto my computer.

10-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Its not a problem, its a useful feature. This is the parts of the image that is severely underexposed. It would also indicate the brighest parts of the image that are clipped to white, these flash in red highlight.

If you don't want it to do that you can turn it off on the Playback menu by unchecking the "PlayBack Display Method - Bright/Dark Area" box
I thought it might be that, but if parts of the picutre are underexposed, is tht normal? Or how do I learn to get the picture in correct exposure? Do I focus better?
I still would like to know how to attach exif information to a picture when sending it to someone.
thanks
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post and thought you were seeing abnormal colours in pictures you had already moved to your computer. As said above, it's just indicating underexposed areas.

As for learning more about how to properly expose your shots, there is a very good book available here and elsewhere. You could also start with a google search on exposure basics or similar terms.
10-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK so, If the cushion is black and it is appearing black in the image and the blinking indicator show that it is very dark (hey... its a black cushion) then whats the problem? The yellow blinking specks doesnt mean the exposure is necessarily wrong, its just very dark at that area.
If on the other hand the scene has a large portion of yellow blinking in the area where there should be some light and detail visible, but there isn't, then that means it is underexposed.

When you say "Correct exposure" i guess you mean how YOU want it. This might be different to what the camera calculates for you in any of the auto modes.

If you are using matrix metering then the camera will "evaluate" the entire scene and decide the the exposure it thinks should be correct. It trys to average to an 18% Gray. Now, if you have some bright objects in the shot particularly if they are a decent portion of the frame, then the camera will darken (ie underexpose) and you might find the shadowy areas or your dark cushion for example is just black with no visible detail.

If that is not "correct" the way you wanted it you can the EV+ or - function.
If you think it is too dark then make it lighter by EV + or if it is too bright then make it darker by dialling towards EV-
Dial in some EV+ and you would see more detail in your darker area but just be aware that it may blow out the lighter areas to just white.

If you take a picture of the moon at night in auto mode using average metering. The camera will calculate a pretty slow shutter and maybe a high ISO and large apeture because the average of the scene is pretty dark. When you look at the result you see the that the moon is a bright white ball with no detail at all and the surrounding sky which you know should be black is kind of a horrible grainy dark grey. This isn't "correct exposure" is it. But the camera has calculated it that way.

You have to select the settings to give the result that you want.
Using the moon example you know that the moon looks a bright grey with a some detail of the craters etc visible. The rest of the sky is black. If you want the moon as the subject then you should read the meter only for the light from the moon and ignore the rest of the sky. This is what spot metering does. Set the metering mode lever? near the mode dial to center spot and point it at the moon and you mihght be suprised how bright it is and how fast the selected shutter speed is. Anyway the exposure settings are dramatically different to what you had using the matrix metering mode.

Going back to your chair / cushion scene. If you want "correct exposure" for the black cushion then try to use spot metering and point the centre spot towards the cushion and use that reading for your settings. Now you might find the slower shutter speed you might get is difficult to hold steady and the light coming from maybe a lamp or something is just blown out to pure white and thats not "correct exposure" either is it.

If you cant get the dark areas to expose how you want them and also get the light areas to expose how you want them just by using the availble light, then you are going to have to alter the lighting condtions with flash, extra lights, or alter the postions of the objects in the scene to be lit better.

For how to post photos read this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html

some editing programs might strip out the exif data. If it does that then you can just read it from your orginal in the camera and type the relevant info out manualy in your text.
Apeture, shutter, iso, metering mode (matrix, spot, center average), the camera mode (P,Av, Tv, M or whatever) and whether flash was used

10-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OOOOOO my God. Such great advice from all those involved today. Thank you very much, much for me to learn but information gather today will keep me busy learning.

But I thought maybe the yellow blinking was telling me the area was too dark, but had to be sure and yes will turn off dark area on camera for now and play with that button. I get Steve's remark probably with most of the metering. Will be rereading all of that. Probably will look at books too. People have probably photograph longer than me or do or know and will know alot more than i will. Knowledge is information we can all learn from.

I am glad i got a pentax and glad to know people are here to give information and help others.
Thanks all