Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

I can't download the photos I took today with me Pentax camera

I took the memory card out of the camera, I inserted it into the USB card-reader, I inserted the USB in the PC USB slot and looked for my photos in My Computer. My PC reads the camera's card ( Memorycard H: ). I opened it and there is a folder (176 MB size - that's the amount of photos I took today) but when I open the folder to reach for the photos, there is only one file (176 MB sized) called USBCpE" which can't be opened, copied, cut and so forth. Anyone knows what is wrong?

10-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The file is a .data file...
10-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Has this computer ever successfully read an SD card before? an it still successfully read other cards? does the card still work in the camera? What I,m getting at is, this soinds like some sort of issue between your computer and the card reader and the software that drives it all.
10-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, that sounds like a driver problem with the card reader.
The directory tree should be SD Card (H)/ DCIM/ 100Pentax.
It sounds like your reader/computer is reading the 100Pentax directory as a data file rather than as a directory.

If ejecting and reinserting the card doesn't help, try uninstalling the reader (right click Computer/Properties/Device Manager) and let Windows reinstall it.
Do take the card out first.

10-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If all else fails, put the memory card back in your camera and connect it to the computer with a USB cable. The camera should appear as a removeable disk drive, just as the card reader would.

If it is a Windows PC, the first thing to try is, of course, rebooting your computer.

I've never heard of a PC needing drivers for either a digital camera or a USB card reader.

What is the capacity of the memory card? If it is 2GB or less, it is an SD card, 4G - 32GB, it is an SDHC, 64GB or more is an SDXC card. Have you successfully read this card in that reader before? Some readers can only handle SD cards of 2GB or less.
10-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The safest route is to pop the card back in the camera. Can you then view the pictures on the camera? If so, do as Noblepa has suggested and use the USB cable to read the photos into your computer. When all the photos are read into the camera then format the SD card in the camera. take a few test shots and see if you can then read the card in your computer.

If you can't read the photos back in the camera and the photos are expendable, try formatting the card in the camera and taking a few shots and test as above.

If you absolutely must get the photos back then try reading the card in a different computer. If you are still unlucky, you may need to buy some recovery software (many will let you try-before-you-buy) to scour the SD card for pictures to recover them. Make sure the recovery software will cope with Pentax RAW (if that's how you stored them) as many recovery software packages will scour the card looking for the headers of JPG's for example.

Good luck!

Martin