Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Focus speed changes on new DA 200 2.8

Just received a new DA 200 from B&H. While using it last night for the first time the first thing I noticed was the focus speed taking it's sweet time. It was around sunset time. So I figured I'd wait until daylight and try again. So testing it today during daylight it first started off slow just like last night. A few minutes later it starts focusing very quickly. So it seems after just some limited testing that there is an intermittent issue.
Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be a sign of soon to be SDM failure or...?

10-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Send it back, get a new one.

Slow-to-start is the canary in the coal mine for SDM failure, from what I hear. Your canary is dead.
10-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barron Quote
Just received a new DA 200 from B&H. While using it last night for the first time the first thing I noticed was the focus speed taking it's sweet time. It was around sunset time. So I figured I'd wait until daylight and try again. So testing it today during daylight it first started off slow just like last night. A few minutes later it starts focusing very quickly. So it seems after just some limited testing that there is an intermittent issue.
Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be a sign of soon to be SDM failure or...?
That's how my 17-70 behaved before quitting AF altogether (it was on the replacement SDM from Pentax Canada). Now to hear that your lens is failing straight out of the box - Pentax quality is just that, a myth - send it back and get your money back. Get something else instead, anything but an SDM.
10-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The DA 200 has a lower failure rate than other SDM models. Everybody has their own threshold of risk. Speaking for myself, I'd be comfortable with the DA 200 SDM failure rate, which is relatively low.

But because your lens comes out of the box with slow-to-start issues, then send it back send it back send it back. Whether to replace or to refund is up to you.

10-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barron Quote
Could it be a sign of soon to be SDM failure or...?
Isn't it obvious? Words have been said and it's up to individuals where to bet their money. I would just avoid anything SDM.
10-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Isn't it obvious? Words have been said and it's up to individuals where to bet their money. I would just avoid anything SDM.
No - sorry, it isn't obvious to me. I usually don't waste my time on something that is aready obvious to me.

Anyway, thanks a lot to all of you who had informative replies. I requested an rma.