Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice lens (sample) but adapter does not focus to infinity on K-5

Just got a K-5, my first Pentax camera! I had an old Super Takumar 35/3.5, so in preparation I bought an adapter from China. It has a spring clip, not a flange - but when I mounted the lens, it will not focus further than about 10 meters out.

I notice the aperture settings on the lens are on the bottom when it is screwed fully on to the adapter and the adapter mounted on the K-5.

I removed the spring clip because it seems to invite disaster some day when the supplied grip just won't get the adapter off the camera.

Maybe I'll try the official Pentax adapter, when it gets back in stock and if Pentax accepts returns in case there is the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Sad situation, because the Takumar does a good job when it is in focus.

10-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

When the adapter is mounted in the camera, does its narrow flange sit flush with the camera mount? If it protrudes at all, even 1/2mm, it could throw focus off. Some adapters may need to be nudged a bit to make them sit flush. Give it a try.
10-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Try putting the adapter on the camera without the lens and make sure it is absolutely flush (or even a little sunken) to the camera mount rim.

Don't worry about the aperture settings, they seem to end up in different places with different lenses.
10-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Next - sand the adapter?

Thank you both for the suggestions. The adapter does sit flush in the camera mount. Also, when I hold the shutter button halfway down and shift the camera to look around the scene, the focus-confirm beep comes at an object well short of infinity.

Maybe I will try sanding the adapter, per helpful instructions posted by "Ranger 9" at The China-made Leica M -> m4/3 Adapter - The GetDPI Photography Forums

10-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations on getting the K5. Hope you enjoy using it.
10-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Do you have a film camera (preferably M42) or another body that you can test the lens on? It is less likely but also possible that the lens has been apart at some point in the past and the infinity focus point is off.

If the lens is being held too far from the camera body you should be able to focus somewhat closer than the close focus distance marked on the lens.
10-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If the adapter looks flush without a lens and the lens seems to mate exactly with the camera lens mount then the adapter is fine. The only thing the adapter can mess up is the registration distance and if the lens and camera mount are touching then the registration distance is correct.

Are you sure the lens focused properly before?

On most Takumars I have owned, the infinity focus is adjustable so it can get out of whack. If that is the problem I think I can remember the steps to adjust, it has been awhile. Others here might know better.

But before you start taking a good Tak apart do some real tests, camera on a tripod, target at fixed distance and lens wide open to narrow the depth of field.

"the focus-confirm beep comes at an object well short of infinity." That may not be a good test depending on the aperture set. The 35mm f/3.5 tak if set at f/16 will have everything from about 4' to infinity in focus. So the in camera confirmation is just going to lock onto whatever it sees within that range.

What aperture are you using?

Just above the aperture ring there are 3 very tiny screws, are these tight? These are what allow the infinity focus adjustment. But don't try that unless you are sure.
10-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for that hint about getting into the lens. It seems the focus ring at the front of the lens needs adjustment in relation to the focus mechanism. The hard part is removing the name plate. A little effort showed it will be a tough job in this case.

Found these threads about the job:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/53296-dis-asse...mm-f3-5-a.html
Shooting with a Pentax K10D: Fixing the infinite focus on a Super Takumar 24mm ...
asahisuper-takumar200mmf42 - davidimagephotography
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/153916-super-t...em-myself.html

10-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

It is usually easier than it looks. Real trick is finding the right tool. Rubber drain plug, piece of drawer liner etc. I turned one on the lathe to the right diameter and clued a piece of foam rubber to the bottom. Works great, just remember to not push real hard, just barely enough to keep the rubber 'sticking' if you push you tend to bind the threads and that makes it harder to turn.

Good luck.
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Don't know if you ever got this sorted out or not, but figured I'd add my 2 cents for anyone else who is having this problem.

If you have a modicum of mechanical skill, I wouldn't worry too much about cracking open the lens. Non-zoom Takumars are some of the easiest lenses to user service out there. The Live view function on the K5 makes adjusting infinity focus a snap, since it eliminates the trial and error in the process. You can probably get the entire job done in under 10 minutes.

To remove the name ring, the easiest way is simply to use the rear cap, since it is exactly the right size to remove a 49mm name ring. Simply stick it in a rubber kitchen glove to get a nice grip on the ring surface and turn counter clockwise. Like a previous poster said, don't push too hard, or the ring tends to bind.

Once you have the ring off, if you look into the barrel, you will see three pairs of screws. Look closely at the screws. The ones with washers are the ones you will want to remove to adjust the focus (the others hold on the inner barrel - you can remove them to give you more working room if you like). If they are flat heads, use any screwdriver that fits. Depending on the age, you might instead see cross-tip screws. If this is the case, it is highly recommended that you invest in a set of JTS screwdrivers (Moody makes a nice little set for about $15). These look like Phillips head screws but have a different pitch and are likely to strip out if you use a regular Phillips driver.Once you have the screws out, mount the lens with adapter on your K5 and put it on a tripod.

Point the camera at something very far away (clouds, moon, horizon, etc,) turn on your live view and hit the info button to magnify your view to the maximum, and carefully turn the brass ring on the lens until whatever you are aiming at is in focus. Now, turn the outer barrel very gently until the focus scale reads infinity. Be careful not to push while you turn, or you might shift the brass ring back out of focus! Replace the screws with washers, tighten, replace the name ring, and you should now have a lens that focuses to infinity.
01-06-2012, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Once you have the ring off, if you look into the barrel, you will see three pairs of screws. Look closely at the screws. The ones with washers are the ones you will want to remove to adjust the focus (the others hold on the inner barrel - you can remove them to give you more working room if you like).
This varies with the age and model of the Takumar. This describes the later 35 f3.5 (#43571). The earlier (#357) will be different. (The screws with washers hold on the filter ring on that model.)
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Good catch, Tom.

Either way, it is still worth getting into the Lens to take a look around. Pretty much all Pentax manual primes are extremely simple mechanically, and can be understood quite quickly. Just snap photos of each step to help you rememebr where everything goes when you put it all back together.
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yoou don't need to remove the screws with washers, just loosen then a little. That should let the focusing collar slip
02-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Bad adaptor

Let this be a lesson: Never, ever, under any circumstances purchase cameras, lenses, or related accessories from China. You are only asking for trouble when you do.