Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

damaged lens

The BAD news is - I accidently dropped my well loved K5 in a paved parking lot.
The GOOD news is - the camera is fine.
The next BAD news is - the lens (Pentax 18-135) has a dent on the rim which prevents filters from attaching. The threads are pushed inwards a bit so the end of the lens is no longer perfectly round.

My dealer said it would be exorbitantly expensive to send it away for repair. A new lens is also very expensive - so what to do?

Someone suggested gently removing the area with damaged threads (with a Dremel tool maybe) and then hope that the remaining threads will hold the filter in.

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions of possible 'home repairs' before biting the bullet and getting a replacement lens - I use a variety of filters, of course, and want a lens that will accept them.

10-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a picture of the damage? Depending on the severity, there could several options.
10-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Give Chengs Camera Repair in Saskatoon a call.
And give your insurance company a call as well. You might be covered under your homeowners insurance.
10-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try something like this, Camera lens rim dent straightening tool repair bend | eBay, but to spend that money for maybe a once in a lifetime event....? I actually used a sharp nose plier to straighten a dent in a lens, and used an old filter the first time, just to re-cut the grooves where they were pressed together, and it worked fine. I just hope you didn't damage anything else in the lens?

10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies/helpful info/suggestions (and the total lack of comments about taking better care of my equipment!) The deductible on our house insurance is higher than the cost of a new lens so that route was blocked. I'm sure we will check out Chengs in Saskatoon - useful to know about such a place.

My hubby checked the lens again and tried to straighten out the mini dent with needle nose pliers. It worked well enough but revealed that the plastic that forms the threads is slightly cracked. He made sure the lens was clean and dust free and managed to screw in a ND filter. I guess it will just stay there as I can add other filters (like polariser) on top of it. Sounds like a solution that will work, at least temporarily and possibly for a long time.
10-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i always have step up rings on my lenses. saves me having to buy more than one size of any given filter and protects the filter rings from dents and stripped threads. with plastic bodied lenses, very careful use of a small heat gun can help soften the dent up enough to screw a filter onto the lens and let the plastic harden back up while stretched around the filter. with metal lenses, clamping a cylindrical piece of soft wood to a workbench to use like an anvil and hammer out the dent usually works pretty well.
10-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
He made sure the lens was clean and dust free and managed to screw in a ND filter. I guess it will just stay there as I can add other filters (like polariser) on top of it. Sounds like a solution that will work, at least temporarily and possibly for a long time.
If you managed to get it to take a filter, then head over to whatever camera store is near you (Don's Photo is very good) and buy yourself one of those cheap "protective" filters.
Don't go overboard on quality, all you want is the filter ring.
Take the glass out of the filter, put the empty ring onto your lens and call it fixed.
You can use the filter ring as the base for other filters. You might get a slight amount of vignetting at wide settings, but it shouldn't be a problem.
As far as equipment care, I dropped a Bronica ETRs off of the top of an office tower one day, so I'd be the last person to chide someone for dropping a piece of gear.