Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need to worry about magnetic device

OK, where I work everyone has to go thru one of those magnetic devices to check for metal on your person or backpacks. They also have those metal wands. So will my memory card or digital camera be harmed by this machine. I want to think not but then again who knows. I have read that people have to put them thru x ray machine in airports but I think the two machines might be alittle different? I am just double checking.
thanks

10-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Back in the "Film" days, I traveled to Europe and Asia, bringing at least 24 rolls of film per trip. I brought a lead lined film pouch to protect the film from x-ray fogging. At screening, I let the screeners know what was in the pouch, and asked for a "hand" inspection, explaining the possiblility of damage to my film during x-ray. I never had a problem with the screening. Maybe this could work in your situation, (hand inspection).
10-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Busting the Biggest PC Myths | PCWorld

QuoteOriginally posted by pcworld:
Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields.
QuoteOriginally posted by pcworld:
In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets
10-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had an issue with the airport metal detectors & x-ray machines, or store RFID scanners and loosing data from any of my electronic gadgets.

When I shoot high speed film, I separate this oput and ask for hand inspection, but that is usually the extent of it.

I have sent phones, Ipods, PDA's etc through the xray machine running.

10-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atomic Quote
-----

So will my memory card or digital camera be harmed by this machine. I want to think not but then again who knows. ------.
thanks
Flash storage devices are not based upon magnetism. On the other hand, the magnetic stripe on your credit card is.....

So, don't worry.
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

An EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) strong enough to wipe your cards will likely kill you. So if you emerge from the screening alive, they probably will also.
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Flash storage devices are not based upon magnetism. On the other hand, the magnetic stripe on your credit card is.....

So, don't worry.
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
An EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) strong enough to wipe your cards will likely kill you. So if you emerge from the screening alive, they probably will also.
Rio

Perhaps an exageration but i agree the levels on mag swipe cards are infinitely higher than the rfid tag readers on store security systems or metal detectors.

10-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, the card and the camera will die before you do. You will just tingle a bit. Even if wearing a pace-maker, i think.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-18-2011 at 04:48 PM.
10-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No, the card and the camera will die before you do. You will just tingle a bit. Even if wearing a pace-maker, i think.
FYI

a pacemaker (if built to IEC standards) is designed to withstand 1mT (milli tesla) flux density without mal operation. By this it specifically means switching modes form synchronous to asynchronous mode (which can cause cardiac arythmya) or from operate to program mode. It also must withstand 10mT without perminant damage. They must also return to operate mode correctly when the field is removed.

By comparison, the earth's magnetic field has a flux density of about 50micro tesla's or 0.05 mT, and the flux required to erase and program magnetic swipe cards is about 5000mT

There are also standards for exposure to magnetic fields for both short term and long term effects, but i am not sure in reality which will be impacted instantly first, you or a camera. Best not to try.