Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
D-Range Setting , K-5 ?

what is this d-range setting and should i have it on or off, for higlight correction and shadow correction? i can't quite figure out if it does anything when it is on, ( i've tried a few pics with it on ) does it affect any aspect of the photo if i leave it on? not the best writing there but do you know what i mean? thanks.

10-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

highlight correction is best used when it is very bright to avoid having blown-out highlights

shadow correction can bring extra detail out of shadow areas that would otherwise be much darker

you can use both features at the same time to get both benefits
10-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that having this setting on requires extra processing, so your continuous shooting speed and review speed will seem slower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
are there more ' natural' ( for lack of better term ) methods of achieving the same thing for the shadows and highlights, if this feature stays off?

10-14-2011, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
are there more ' natural' ( for lack of better term ) methods of achieving the same thing for the shadows and highlights, if this feature stays off?
Sometimes there is. Highlight protection can save your blown out sky. You can also save that blown out sky with a graduated filter (colloquial: ND grad filters). Highlight protection can also save your blown out windows or other highlights. A filter can't do the same.

Shadow correction can "lift" the deep shadows. Sometimes you can also do that with flash and other times you can't.

These two settings have subtle effects but believe me, they work. Once you learn to see what they do, you'll appreciate them.

Adam mentioned they slow down processing. Well maybe they do, but it's not much. You can still shoot action at full burst speed with highlight and shadow protection.

Another downside is more noise. But that's a nonissue at low iso on the K-5. I wouldn't use the d-range features above say ISO 800 or so.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi dh4412,
The "natural" way is to use exposure compensationn negative fo prevent highlights and positive to keep shadows from clipping and going totally black. You can use the "flashies" when you chimp and make adjustments for the next shot. This is best achieved by shooting AV and set the rear dial for AV adjustment. On the two edial models, you can program the front dial to change Ev correction. You set your desired aperture for dOF, then dial in however much Ev comp you feel you'll nee for the scene, shoot and chimp to see if you guessed right. aafter a while, you just know how much you need to adjust it.

Scott
10-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks, i'm going to try to leave both settings on for a while, see what happens, there are three value settings for the shadow correction, so will experiment with those; and i did change the front dial to work exposure compensation when in Av mode, so thanks for the input.
k-5 has a lot of settings to mess around with, gets confusing.

10-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible to shoot RAW with these turned off and later process them using Pentax's imaging software?
10-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
i think these apply to raw too? but i hate the extra steps of messing with photos in raw, probably cause i just don't really understand it well, but jpeg seems so much easier, to me anyway.
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always shoot RAW. Since I dont use the Pentax's imaging utility (use mostly LR), the question was if Pentax's software can perform the highlight and the shadow correction during processing?
10-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #11

Original Poster
i don't know, can lightroom do that?
10-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Is it possible to shoot RAW with these turned off and later process them using Pentax's imaging software?
Highlight correction also affects the RAW output - the camera effectively underexposes by a stop.