Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Screw Mount lens to k1000 camera

I have a Rexagon f2.8 28mm fish-eye screw mount (m42) lens that I'd like to use on my K1000 camera.

What type of adapter do I need to make this work?

Some research I've done mentions how the aperture pin gets stuck on some brands of adapters. However this is
the only m42 screw mount lens that I have so leaving the adapter on it is an ok option for my use.

Please advise...

10-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax makes an adapter that works.Some after market adapters loose some focus capabilities
Jake.
10-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the original pentax one
10-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What you're referring to is the "dreaded Ricoh pin". AFAIK, this only appears on some Ricoh-compatible bayonet-mount lenses. So, you don't have to worry about that with an M42 lens.

As others have pointed out, some M42-kmount adapters have a large flange that gets between the lens and camera and prevents the lens from focusing to infinity. That's okay, if you only want to shoot close-ups, but no good if you want landscapes. The proper adapter sits entirely inside the lens mount opening of the camera.

Some insist on only the genuine Pentax adapter, but these can be a little hard to find. I have a third-party adapter and I have never had any trouble with it. I have removed the spring that locks it into the mount from mine. I leave it on my Super-Takumar 50mm, f/1.4 lens, effectively turning it into a k-mount lens.

One issue with many third-party m42 lenses is that they lack an auto/manual switch for the aperture. Since the K1000 has no mechanism to push the aperture pin, you must be able to stop the lens down manually. As far as I know, all genuine Pentax lenses have such a switch. Many third-party lenses do not, which means you can only shoot with them wide-open. If your lens lacks the switch, you may be able to modify it or somehow jam the pin so that the aperture pin stays depressed.

In use, you must use stop-down metering, even though the K1000 is capable of open-aperture metering. This means you focus and compose your shot, stop the lens down to the working aperture and select the shutter speed that centers the needle of the meter, and then take the shot.

10-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
THANK YOU! I was able to find an original Pentax k Mount adapter (ebay picture shows the Pentax name and Japan stamped into the metal ring) for $33.00
The seller said he has 2 of these brand new - well 1 now.
Thanks again for the help...