Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aside from camera/lenses and batterys and memorys cards.

I would say the must haves would be.
- Good Blower
- Lens cloth
- Tripod
- Remote/or shutter release cable

Then depending on what you want to shoot, you could add flash's and lightstands/umbrella's and filters such as ND's or CPL's etc....

10-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

If I were a Nikon sales rep I would say you MUST have... nm we don't need to flog that dead horse anymore..

Definitely lens hoods.. as long as possible without getting in the image!
If you shoot outdoor and want to try long exposure shots of clouds/water etc.. you should look into a Circular Polarizer, an neutral density filter or two as well as a tripod.
Another cheap handy addition can be the cordless remote for wildlife or long exposure shooting, self portraits, kids portraits, your own family portraits etc..
A flash can be handy no matter what kind.. almost anything can outperform the pop-up flash! Depending on what your shooting even a $50 macro LED light ring can do a lot.
I tried a pop-up flash diffuser (Gary Phong Puffer) and it did it's job and softened the light.. but nothing compared to a real flash when I bucked up for the Metz 58-AF2.

Ohh yeah.. and of course, some inspiration to go shooting is the most important! But it sounds like you already have that!
10-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #18

Original Poster
From my understanding the K-x doesn't have a shutter release. What is a remote I could use? I've been thinking about picking one up. I've done a lot of long exposure/night shots and it'd be nice to have one.
10-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
From my understanding the K-x doesn't have a shutter release. What is a remote I could use? I've been thinking about picking one up. I've done a lot of long exposure/night shots and it'd be nice to have one.
The official Pentax remote is Remote F but just about any generic remote from evilBay will work.

10-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
Forum Member

A must have for me is a 24mm AF lens. I still use film and have a pentax DSLR but I use B/w film. I hope to get a MED format soon
10-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A second vote here for at least one spare battery and a couple of cards. If you're going to use more than one lens a bag is helpful. Even without extra lenses, it protects the camera. A rocket blower or Lens pen helps get rid of dust and lint, as will a good microfiber lens cloth. If you shoot architecture or landscapes a tripod will help you make sharper photos. You can use the countdown timer built into your camera for that but a remote shutter release is handy. A gray card will make your color balance easier to get spot on. A notebook and pen or pencil for shot lists, notes or names of subjects.
10-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My list of must haves (some duplication with above):

* hoods, CPL, tripod, remote, flash, diffuser, batteries, charger(s)
* extra batteries and memory cards -- you can't have too many
* lens pen; dust blower; Official Pentax sensor cleaning kit O-ICK1
* computer; card reader; RAW development and PP software
* a streak of insanity in your recent family history is very helpful
* and of course a sh!tload of interesting (preferably cheap) lenses

Now get out there and shoot.

10-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #23

Original Poster
I really need a card reader. I used to you the one on my priner but it has recently stopped working. But I do have a couple sets of batteries (Eneloops) and two 8gb SD card (one class 8 and one class 10).
10-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dndcdr Quote
A must have for me is a 24mm AF lens. I still use film and have a pentax DSLR but I use B/w film. I hope to get a MED format soon
I don't know what I would even use AF for with my 24mm f2.5, It's usually at infinity for landscapes and other scenic shots. I suppose some wide portraiture might warrant the AF?
10-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

To address the OP's original question about hoods, I think they're especially important because they help to physically protect the lens from both damage and rain.

But I'd also agree with many of the other points about spare batteries/cards, cleaning equipment, and a tripod.

Paul
10-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #26

A must have that costs almost nothing is a lens hood. I use the generic rubber screw in type. You can get on Ebay for 5usd or less with free shipping from sellers in Asia. I have several in different filter thread sizes.
10-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Since I use a lot of older manual lenses, hoods are very little use for rain/protection.. and all for helping eliminate flaring!
10-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #28

Original Poster
I really like my manual 50mm, but it's a pain to use for any type of action shot. I took pictures of a few friends playing basketball and AF came in handy. Though I would love to find an old 15mm or 24mm manaul lens for cheap.
10-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Since I use a lot of older manual lenses, hoods are very little use for rain/protection.. and all for helping eliminate flaring!
You are too spoiled/dependent on your K-5 to provide weather resistance. A hard lens hood is the perfect place to tape/tie up a durable, clear plastic bag to get weather resistance with older lenses. People have been shooting in increment weather for as long as cameras have been around.

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
I really like my manual 50mm, but it's a pain to use for any type of action shot. I took pictures of a few friends playing basketball and AF came in handy. Though I would love to find an old 15mm or 24mm manaul lens for cheap.
An old manual 15mm lens is expensive, probably the most affordable is the Zenitar 16/2.8 Fish Eye and that will set you back about 200.00. You can probably find a 24mm for about half that or so.

Last edited by excanonfd; 10-14-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: addendum
10-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

ab
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
You are too spoiled/dependent on your K-5 to provide weather resistance. A hard lens hood is the perfect place to tape/tie up a durable, clear plastic bag to get weather resistance with older lenses. People have been shooting in increment weather for as long as cameras have been around.
Well ya get what ya pay for, I got the K-5 and 18-135 for all weather conditions, I prefer almost any lens I have to the 18-135, and I do use lens hoods.. I just end up needing them for glare/flaring more than protection. If I had a K-X/K-r I would definitely be looking into some big wide hoods and possibly even one of those plastic bag/storm jackets.

Last edited by Chex; 10-15-2011 at 12:37 AM.