Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention important gear: Wide-brim hat, plastic bags, and a long bracket for flash. And cheap slave-trigger cubes.

We're getting away from ancillary 'gear' and into lenses, but what the hell, why not.

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
I really like my manual 50mm, but it's a pain to use for any type of action shot. I took pictures of a few friends playing basketball and AF came in handy. Though I would love to find an old 15mm or 24mm manaul lens for cheap.
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
An old manual 15mm lens is expensive, probably the most affordable is the Zenitar 16/2.8 Fish Eye and that will set you back about 200.00. You can probably find a 24mm for about half that or so.
Cheap way to get a Zenitar: Buy a 10-lot for US$1500. Keep one. Sell the other 9 for US$200 each. You net US$300 *AND* a free lens! Such a deal!

The Tokina-made M42 21/3.8 may still be found for under US$100. I'll list an M42 Sigma 24/2.8 on eBay Real Soon Now. (I've really gotta do that! Maybe I'll get rich!) Manual 24's in Nikon and OM mounts, easily modded for PK, should be findable for not too much.

As for action, like basketball, with a manual 50: Boost the ISO and use CIF. If it's a friendly game (non-competition) and an A-type lens, use a flash or three. (Optical slave-trigger cubes are under US$5 each.)

10-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
ab

Well ya get what ya pay for, I got the K-5 and 18-135 for rainy days, I prefer almost any lens to it, and I do use lens hoods.. I just end up needing them for glare/flaring more than protection.
I shoot with K20D which is weather resistant but I have no WR lens and I won't be buying one anytime soon. The premium demanded by the WR feature on a lens is better spent on acquiring a 'fix' (or portions there of) for my LBA, imho. I've shot in rough weather in the 80's with my Canon FD gear using plastic bags for protection from the rain, I had no problems with it. even now, I carry a large clear plastic bag in my camera bag at all times, should the need arise.
10-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is a remote I could use? I've been thinking about picking one up. I've done a lot of long exposure/night shots and it'd be nice to have one.
A cheap one : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/156841-...motes-k-x.html
10-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Lens hoods are helpful but buying them isn't mandatory. Patterns to make them are easily found online and you can make your own out of a stray piece of bendable plastic or cardboard and some duct tape. They don't have to be fancy to work. Most lens filters can be done without these days if you have a decent imaging program and there are a few good free ones out there now, like Gimp, but I'd suggest you at least grab one decent polarizer if nothing else. I do have a few other filters but the polarizer is the one filter in my kit I think of as an essential. A tripod is also an essential in my book though I must admit I probably don't use mine as much as I should. I tend to use the nearest wall or a piece of furniture or whatever just about as much. Tripods aren't all that expensive these days and can be picked up fairly easily used for very little so I'd still suggest you grab one at some point, yes.

You don't absolutely "need" a full kit of prime and zoom lenses to do most jobs, a kit lens and an all purpose zoom will do for basics. Unless maybe you're going pro or need to do a lot of nature work or sports shooting that will do you. Ultimately I did put my money into getting a good range of lenses for each camera brand I own but I do have more lenses than I absolutely need for basic hobby work I think. I'm going pro. I have different requirements than your average person does though. Before I will spend my money on much else I will always spend some $$$ on decent used glass. Good glass is the most important thing you need besides your camera body and while you probably don't need as much of it as reading on most forums like this will have you thinking (LBA anyone?) good glass is an investment in so far as good pics are concerned. It can be older, manual, and that will make it cheaper, but you do need to try to work with something other than truly crappy lenses if you can get them. One good lens is worth 10 bad ones. You can be thrifty, absolutely, but be choosy too.

More filters and lens covers and such they can always wait, or you can scrounge for them at Goodwill, in auctions. They're not hard to pick up cheaply. Try to get as much of your auxiliary equipment used as you can. Check out your local thrift stores, Craig's List, Ebay, Goodwill online, etc. I got most of the really expensive filters and such that I own, and most of my lenses there actually. New they would have been cost prohibitive. I've not bought a whole lot new except for my camera cases, my straps, some cleaning stuff. Only my first couple of P&S were bought new. Since I've gone to using SLR/DSLR it's almost all come second hand my gear.

I have 3 pretty full kits of gear at this point. I have my Pentax kit, my Yashica kit, and now a pretty decent kit of old Minolta stuff. My Pentax kit is my main kit. It's hands down the one I use the most. It's the one that includes both SLR and digital cameras, the one I put the most money into and it's the one kit I will probably never sell much from. I've got 3 Takumars and with my current money situation being what it is I've admittedly come close to selling off my best lens a few times but I think ultimately I'd have to be close to homeless to really go there, laugh. I put most of my $$$ into decent lenses in both M42 and K mount and I do plan on keeping most of them if I can.

My Yashica kit I bought used and while it was a lot cheaper than the Pentax gear ultimately I feel I spent more on that than I probably should have now. I don't need it, I just like it, shrug. It's good gear though and I am glad I have it, at least for now. The Minolta stuff was given to me, scrounged. So far I don't think it's bad but I'm not really sure I am keeping it at this point as 3 kits is a bit too much gear for me I think. I've also got a couple of misc cameras, a Canon AE1, a Nikon, a few rangefinders I'll likely never use and that likely I will sell off at some point either for a few $$$ I guess.

Looking amongst the old film kits for the things you can still use with digital helps a lot. Buying new equipment aimed at the digital consumer always costs more than just buying used, older gear. Since some things can transfer from old style cameras to new ones it makes sense to look at old gear first before purchasing new off the shelf. Why buy a filter for $20-100 new when you can get a decent older filter for $5? Why buy a $300 AF zoom if you can get one for $60 with a little more effort if you just can't afford a $300 zoom. I'm not saying the $300 zoom might not be great ultimately, but if you can do with a cheaper one for a while while you save up, then why not wait and get an interim lens in the meantime. If you're really into manual focusing anyhow, then why buy expensive AF lenses at all? It all comes down to what your needs are and how big your wallet is really.

I've personally managed to put a reasonable kit together without spending thousands. I have an almost nonexistent budget for it all really, but hey, that's why they have places like Goodwill, grin. Patience is definitely a virtue when you're a poor photographer, and thinking outside the box that can really save you a lot of money when it comes to the non-essentials. 99% of the time if I can't afford something right away I try to Macgyver it. Whatever works and your local hardware store has a lot of cheap things in it that can be used for photography...

Last edited by magkelly; 10-15-2011 at 01:18 AM.
10-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
The premium demanded by the WR feature on a lens is better spent on acquiring a 'fix' (or portions there of) for my LBA, imho.
I absolutely agree, in hindsight I would have rather just got the kit 18-55 (probably would have been WR anyways) and spent the extra money towards a 77 Ltd or a DA15
10-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #36

Original Poster
I really wish there was a way to lock down the shutter with the K-x. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to rig up with a rubberband and something though.
10-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks pretty cool.DIY DSLR K-X “Cable” Cable Release [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

What is some "must have" equipment?
Bottle Cap opener (check) <- need it to crack open a beer here and there

---

10-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Bottle Cap opener (check) <- need it to crack open a beer here and there
* A hammock (hamaca), handmade in Chiapas or Yucatan, for lying back whilst sipping beer and shooting birds (avian or human)
* Radio-controlled camera-equipped drone helicopter to get those impossible shots whilst you remain safe in your hamaca.
* Electronic insect repeller, to drive off mosquitoes, and any invertebrates that may fall from your thatched palapa.
* A small robot to carry your kit when you have no porter. My lens-bearer Ansel may need to find new employment.
10-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #40
Site Supporter

I recently picked up one of the tripods and am quite impressed, especially for the price.

Hmm, that tripod looks pretty good for the money. I currently have a real basic tripod that has worked ok, but there aren't many options with it. From what I usually shoot, I think a lens hood might help. A lot of my shots are during the day when it's quite sunny.
10-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I really wish there was a way to lock down the shutter with the K-x. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to rig up with a rubberband and something though.
You don't need to lock the button for bulb mode if using a remote. In the menu you can set it so that the first press of the remote button opens the shutter, and the second press closes it.
10-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #42

Original Poster
I didn't want it for bulb mode. I want to lock it down for continuous shooting. But the Android/Iphone app does it fine.
10-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The remote control F doesn't do this with K-x? I know it does with the K-5.. too many times I've accidentally selected remote continuous for doing portraiture.. press to get one shot and it keeps shooting till I press it again.. then go back and delete 15 of the 16 pics it took before I noticed.
10-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I didn't want it for bulb mode. I want to lock it down for continuous shooting. But the Android/Iphone app does it fine.
Ah ok. Wouldn't you run into buffer issues doing that? Or maybe jpeg and low continuous would be OK.

I haven't figured out a way to do this on the K-r. The remote drive modes seem to only include single shot and 3 sec delay.
10-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I've had my camera for a while now, but I haven't bought much for it even though I use it a lot. Are things like filters and lens hoods must haves?
Must Haves depend upon what you want to do with the camera, and what you have tried that leaves you less than satisfied with the results.

People have mentioned filters, polarizing and graduated ND are good candidates for landscapes and archetecture but there are also special effects filters like starburst, etc, that couold be considered.

Some close up diopters might get your interest to enter into low cost macro.

A flash, and also reflectors and umbrellas if you want to do portraits.

SO the first response is really, What do you want to do?