Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

What is some "must have" equipment?

I've had my camera for a while now, but I haven't bought much for it even though I use it a lot. Are things like filters and lens hoods must haves?

10-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only "must haves" are lens hoods and maybe a circular polarizer. Lens hoods are cheap, a good CP is not. A decent tripod can be handy as well, something like the Dolica Proline at least.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo
10-14-2011, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its just my opinion, but you have everything you "must have". Just go out and shoot things that strike you as interesting. From that you will develop on your own, what you feel you may be missing. For instance - lets just say for the sake of argument, you just have the kit lens, however - when shooting you always want to get closer. Then you need something of a telephoto. From that, you can post - I need to get closer, what are my best options?

What is a must have for me, might not be a must have for you. Right now - you have no idea as to what you want to do. Its like walking into a car dealer asking what you must have, then driving away in an Austin Martin to pick up groceries....

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Take a look at the images and see what you like and what you dislike. On the ones that you dislike, why and what can you do to make it better? That is another question to ask here.

We love spending money, especially when its not ours. We can spend you directly into the poor house.

Edit - I rarely shoot with a hood - but then again I shoot in the evening/night and really don't need one. I also shoot wide angle, and polarizes for me make the sky very uneven. So, from this you can see that its not a uniform set of "must haves", its all based around how and what you shoot...

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-26-2011 at 07:16 AM.
10-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A lens hood is a must whether you shoot in the morning or the evening, if you are shooting towards a light source (direct or reflected). A lens hood won't prevent all lens flare (especially on a wide angle lens) but it can help. A hard lens hood also acts to protect the glass elements from inadvertent bumps and knocks, which is bound to happen if you are milling about with other people (street, and event photography). A circular polarizing filter is a must if you are shooting near or on the water and if you want to reduce the glare off reflective surfaces like glass, mirrors, chrome, paint etc. A good tripod is a must if you want to reduce camera movement to an absolute minimum, or shooting longer exposure times (night photography)

Hope this helps,

10-14-2011, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

camera? check.
battery? check.
lens? check.
memory card? check.
finger to press shutter? priceless.

Everything else is optional and depends on what you like to shoot and where you want to go.
10-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I have to say that the minimalists here do have a point to just go out and shoot. I'm in the lens hood, good CPL, and really good tripod camp. You didn't mention lenses but that, really is a whole conversation by itself. Furthermore, the 'must haves' are also dependent on what you shoot (or want to shoot). As a landscape photographer, hoods, CPL, tripod, and a cable shutter release are tools I need in just about that order.

I think another way to look at this is, what do you think you are missing with your current setup? What would allow you to do more.
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Spare battery(ies), spare memory card, something to carry them in.

10-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think it really depends on what type of photography you're doing. If you're shooting landscapes, a tripod and polarizer filter (and perhaps even a lens upgrade) might come in handy. If you're shooting portraits, a flash and a fast prime might be useful. If you want to shoot critters, a longer lens would be helpful. But none of these additions quite constitutes a must have. If you are thoroughly statisfied with what your attaining with your present set-up, just keep on shooting with what you got.
10-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hmm, that tripod looks pretty good for the money. I currently have a real basic tripod that has worked ok, but there aren't many options with it. From what I usually shoot, I think a lens hood might help. A lot of my shots are during the day when it's quite sunny.
10-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
Hmm, that tripod looks pretty good for the money. I currently have a real basic tripod that has worked ok, but there aren't many options with it. From what I usually shoot, I think a lens hood might help. A lot of my shots are during the day when it's quite sunny.
SlickYamaha has a couple of videos about it.

10-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

One of the best must haves is a photographic buddy that is enthusiastic about photography and you can share photos with. My photo buddy is in South Africa and i am in Australia. We exchange photos once to four times a week. When we do get togther we go nuts with our cameras. Next best thing is to develop your enthusiasm with us on this blog. However some of us are very weird.
10-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Here's another vote for lens hood. They're cheap and can often make a huge difference in the contrast of a shot. Well...wait a minute...the hoods I use are cheap. If you try to buy a specific hood for some zooms, they can get expensive.
10-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Must have" is a subjective term that will vary from one person to another. As you grow as a photographer you begin to understand what you can't live without, and until you know that you must have it, it's not really a must-have. For me, a great camera bag is a must-have. Mine is a Tamrac, it weighs 35 pounds and holds 2 bodies, 6 lenses, 2 flashes, a laptop and it's the largest size that can be carried on any airline, also has a rain cover; I like havin' all my stuff with me.
10-14-2011, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

a computer
10-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
a computer
Very true. The pictbridge and image editing in camera gets you quite far these days, but still it is much better to use a computer. At least for backup.