Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #1

Disappearing Folder

I recently purchased a new K-r. I loved my K-x but this K-r is a great camera. However, on a couple occasions now a folder with pictures in it has disappeared, as though I deleted it, but of course I did not.

Having spent hours shooting pictures outdoors, often of birds using bursts in continuous mode, it was easy to fill a folder with 500 JPEGs. I'll sometimes review the images before I call it quits. When I repeated the viewing later, the whole folder was gone.

At first I thought maybe it was because I had turned the camera off while in the review mode. But when it happened again after being hyper sensitive about the order of button pushing, I began top suspect the camera and the 8Gb SDHC card (PNY Premium Class 4). I'd used the card in the K-x and never had a problem.

I've used PhotoRescue PC to recover the deleted images, to great relief, but I'm gun-shy now. After the last occurence, I pulled the card and replaced it with another, lower capacity SD card that also has never given me grief. I intend to take loads of pictures tomorrow simply to fill a folder or two (battery permitting), and I dearly hope that the problem goes away.

I am very interested to know if others have experienced this behavior, whether or not they were able to trace the cause, and what remedies were required. I'll discard the card in a flash (pun intended) if this is a familiar problem, but if eh camera is the culprit, I will be dismayed.

Hope to get replies from those who Know.

Russ

10-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you just started using it in the K-r after formatting it in the K-x, you may want to try reformatting again in the K-r. It is always recommended to reformat a card when used in a new device because the FAT file system is not as robust and a slight difference between the two devices can cause corruption. Might not be your problem, but just something else to try. The card could also have developed a problem and it is just coincidence that you started using it the K-r.
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, GregK8. I'll try that next.
10-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Two cards, one gives grief and the other one not. Points to the card in my opinion.

If it happens again after the formatting, throw it away and buy a well known brand like SanDisk. I've never had problems with any of my SanDisk SD cards.

10-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's very important that you format the card after you have downloaded the images in the camera that it's going to be used in. The problem is the DCIM (Digital Camera Image Management) file is different for every camera, the data stored in this file is a memory map of the card and tells the camera where in memory each image begins and ends, without the correct data and format in this file any images on the card will be invisible to the camera. The DCIM file for the Kx and Kr are different.

Formatting writes a new DCIM file, just deleting the images doesn't.

Format the card in the camera your going to use it in.

Take your pics

Download your pics to a hard drive (preferably two)

Format the card in the camera

Used this way a card will never corrupt.

If you take a card out of your Kx to use in your Kr you need to format the card in the Kr, and vice versa.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 10-18-2011 at 02:50 AM.
10-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
It's very important that you format the card after you have downloaded the images in the camera that it's going to be used in. The problem is the DCIM (Digital Camera Image Management) file is different for every camera, the data stored in this file is a memory map of the card and tells the camera where in memory each image begins and ends, without the correct data and format in this file any images on the card will be invisible to the camera. The DCIM file for the Kx and Kr are different.

Formatting writes a new DCIM file, just deleting the images doesn't.

Format the card in the camera your going to use it in.

Take your pics

Download your pics to a hard drive (preferably two)

Format the card in the camera

Used this way a card will never corrupt.

If you take a card out of your Kx to use in your Kr you need to format the card in the Kr, and vice versa.

Chris
If ever a citation were needed...

The DCIM directory is, as far as I know, completely ordinary. It is only a file in the strictest sense; to most people it would be simply called a folder. You can format a card on a computer (Windows, Linux, doesn't matter, but use fat32 for the file system), create a new folder called DCIM, stick the card in your camera, and it works, using the folder created from the computer. You can drop images stored on your computer, and taken by said camera into this new folder, and it will see them (provided you keep any subdirectories intact, such as the dated folders that normally hold the images themselves).

There is nothing magical about formatting a card in the camera, or especially in a specific camera. There is also no reason not to swap a card between cameras, with the caveat that the camera may not be able to display images taken with another camera.

There sure seem to be a lot of myths and superstitions surrounding SD cards, I don't get it.
10-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

pictures disappeared

I just had this same issue happen to me today using a 16 GB class 10 formatted PNY micro SDHC card in a Sandisk SD adapter. I have never had this issue happen, but today I was even able to see pictures disappear almost immediately after snapping the pictures.

I took about 10 pictures, reviewed them, snapped another shot and reviewed that picture and the previous ones but they were all gone. I was perplexed and decided to take additional photos and reviewed them immediately, but they were gone either upon reviewing immediately after snapping the shot or after another picture or two and then reviewing. I could find no pattern on when the pictures would disappear. This happened for a good 40 minutes while I stepped out for lunch during work and unfortunately couldn't do any further testing / troubleshooting. The only pictures that disappeared were from today however and the other folders from previous days remain.

I'll have to keep an eye on this issue now. Perhaps I'll re-reformat the card and carry another card on me just in case. I hope the issue is with the card itself and not the camera. Will re-post if I see any similar issues after another reformat or a different brand card.