Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 with intermittent green line issue

I purchased a K-7 from the Marketplace about 6 months ago.

The sensor produce a thin green vertical line (about 5 pixels wide) right down the middle of the image about 30 to 40 per cent of the time.

I thought this problem was meant to have been solved by firm ware updates a while ago. This camera has the latest firm ware (v 1.11).

Any ideas?

10-17-2011, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Have you been around any lazer pointers??
10-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Have you been around any lazer pointers??
Nope.

This was a well discussed issue with the camera when it was released in 2009. Only I thought the firm ware updates where meant to fix it.
10-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heasley Quote
Nope.

This was a well discussed issue with the camera when it was released in 2009. Only I thought the firm ware updates where meant to fix it.
That was only my 0.02 cent guess. I hope someone else has a better idea.......Cliff

10-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
That was only my 0.02 cent guess. I hope someone else has a better idea.......Cliff
I appreciate your input. And I certainly gave some thought to whether this has happened. I'm just amazed that there has been no discussion regarding this issue since early 2010.
10-17-2011, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the early K7 had this problem which was solved with a sensor replacement. Since it was a known issue, I would call your Pentax distributor and see if they would do a sensor replacement repair since the camera is probably out of warranty. Its worth a shot. If they resist, I would push a bit (nicely), since it is a design / parts / manufacturing problem and not a user problem. And it was a known issue - I don't remember if Pentax actually acknowledged it - but they repaired them, as I remember.

Hope that helps....

10-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Some of the early K7 had this problem which was solved with a sensor replacement. Since it was a known issue, I would call your Pentax distributor and see if they would do a sensor replacement repair since the camera is probably out of warranty. Its worth a shot. If they resist, I would push a bit (nicely), since it is a design / parts / manufacturing problem and not a user problem. And it was a known issue - I don't remember if Pentax actually acknowledged it - but they repaired them, as I remember.

Hope that helps....

Thank you for your very thorough assistance.

The links your provided were very useful.

I will follow your advise and contact the local distributor for Pentax in Australia and see what my options are.
10-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heasley Quote

I will follow your advise and contact the local distributor for Pentax in Australia and see what my options are.
I wish you a happy ending as I also have a K7...Cliff

11-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just found this thread whilst researching the same problem which has just started happening with my K-7.

Then I noticed the name of the OP - I bought my K-7 from him a few months back. I wonder if it is the same camera?

It appears to be intermittent and, not only that, I think the images become much noisier, even at 200 ISO. The pic below is a crop of a pic taken with my Tokina 300mm F5.6 at 800 ISO but 200 ISO is much the same. I was starting to wonder why my new DA* 60-250mm didn't take very good pics.

The camera has firmware v1.11
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by p38arover; 11-29-2012 at 04:08 PM.
11-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now here's a crop of a pic taken today with the DA*60-250 at 250mm and 800 ISO, no green line and less noise. Oh, that pole is exactly (according to Google Maps) 300 metres from where I took the pics.

BTW, I upgraded the firmware to v1.12 today.

The outside temp is currently 36 deg C but the camera had come from inside the house at 24 deg C (I'd read some suggestions it was a problem at temps over 32 deg C and it was yesterday).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by p38arover; 11-29-2012 at 11:16 PM.
12-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took some pics of the moon tonight (temp 20 deg C) and the line is clearly visible against the black sky. Software is v1.12.

Cropped image here.

Has anyone had a repair done by Pentax or their agents? If so, was it free or expensive? Do I toss this camera and buy a new one? i can see that if I have to pay for a repair, they effective cost of the camera will probably be more than I would have paid for a K5. Caveat Emptor

Too bad it can't be upgraded to a K5.
Attached Images

12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I took some pics of the moon tonight (temp 20 deg C) and the line is clearly visible against the black sky. Software is v1.12.

Cropped image here.

Has anyone had a repair done by Pentax or their agents? If so, was it free or expensive? Do I toss this camera and buy a new one? i can see that if I have to pay for a repair, they effective cost of the camera will probably be more than I would have paid for a K5. Caveat Emptor

Too bad it can't be upgraded to a K5.
Its the same sensor as in the K20D which had the same issue from time to time. If I remember correctly Pentax did replace some sensors. Google the issue "green line" and there are a lot of posts across a number of websites.

QuoteQuote:
The K-7 (the third camera model) does not appear to have these colour tingeing problems, and appears to have yet another algorithm as to the types of "black offset compensation" that have to do with causing it, which also seems to improve Horizontal and Vertical Pattern Noise (HPN/VPN). However, the K-7 has yet another problem related to this in the "thin green vertical line for high sensor temperatures" problem for some cameras, which again is likely due to a design bug/oversight in the black offset compensation or a related function (stitching of channels).
What they are currently doing about it now - I have not the foggiest....

12-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've looked at nearly every post I can find on the subject but no one has mentioned getting a paid repair and at what cost. It doesn't appear to have been fixed with software changes. It doesn't appear to be temperature related. I've left the camera out in the sun on recent 35 deg C days to let it get hot with no sign of the line in images.

I've emailed Pentax Australia for a repair quote.
03-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally got around to sending my camera off to the Australian agents, CR Kennedy. They did a sensor recalibration (and clean - also a viewfinder clean ) free of charge. Not only that, they didn't charge for return shipping. I am very happy with their service as they got it back in time for me to go away on holiday tomorrow.

Thank you, CR Kennedy.

I'll keep all informed as to whether the problem rears its ugly green head again.