Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #1

Will a PK mount lens fit a K1000?

I'm looking at a HANIMEX 135mm f2.8 SLR DSLR CAMERA PENTAX P/K MOUNT LENS. Will this fit my K1000?
Not entirely sure what the difference is between a PK and K mount.
Please advise...

10-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pk and K mount are the same thing, and both will fit your K1000.
The only time you need to be cautious is if the lens is marked PKR and you are mounting it to an autofocus SLR (of any generation).
The R stands for Ricoh, and there might be an extra pin that will jam on the AF making the lens difficult to remove,
10-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Some Ricoh-type PK lenses are marked KR or KAR or PKR, and some aren't. All Ricoh-pin lenses are A-type: they have a pattern of electrical contact pins on the lens base, to transmit aperture information and control between lens and camera. If the lens has no contact pins, it is safe.

Look at the aperture ring. An A-type lens has an A position just beyond the tightest aperture, the f/16 or f/22 number. A Ricoh-made Ricoh-pin lens has a P there instead of A because Ricoh calls the feature Program instead of AutoAperture. Third-pary Ricoh-pin lenses may have P(A) or A(P) there to indicate compatibility with Pentax and Ricoh cameras. If the lens has only A and no P(A) nor A(P), it is safe.

The pin on Ricoh-made lenses can extrude and jam in the cameras autofocus drive hole. This is the problem. The third-party Ricoh-pin lenses I have seen have a rounded nub instead of the dreaded pin. That nub does NOT extrude, does NOT get jammed, and is safe. But if you have any doubts, ask about a lens here before sticking it on your camera.

One other PK lens problem: Some few lenses badged as Vivitar have an aperture-flag shield that is too large for our dSLRs. This is easy to cut down, or to unscrew and remove.
10-17-2011, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Since the K1000 is not an autofocus camera, you can safely ignore the risk of the "dreaded Ricoh pin".

In fact, any k-mount lens or any variation of the k-mount will FIT on your K1000. Newer autofocus lenses often don't have an aperture ring. This will make life difficult, since the K1000 has no electrical contacts to control the aperture.

Also, most new autofocus lenses made for Pentax k-mount, are designed for the smaller APS-C sensor. Such lenses might vignette the image on the full 35mm frame. Note that not all lenses do vignette and some zooms do only at their shortest focal lengths. For example, the 18-55mm kit lens from my K10D fits on my Pentax 35mm film cameras. At 18mm, it vignettes rather badly, but from about 30mm and up, the image fills the frame.

That's one of the things I like about Pentax, not only do that have backward compatibility (old lenses working on new cameras), but to a great extent, they also have forward compatibility (new lenses working on old cameras).

Have fun. The K1000 is a great camera.