Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Old flash unit

I have an old Hanimex TZ855 flash unit with swivel head, slave unit, IR trigger and filters which I used to good effect on my pentax film camera K1000. I wish to use it with my new Kr but am concerned to read that the trigger voltage can damage the camera. Is this just on the X conector or the hot shoe as well? I read about an adaptor to make the hot shoe safe. Can you explain what it is and what it does please.

10-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The trigger voltage for that flash has been measured for 209V as noted on this website:
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

That makes it not safe for the Pentax DSLRs.

This counts for the hotshoe and the xsync socket as well.

You can use one of these safe sync devices which isolate the flash trigger voltage from the camera. Not sure exactly how they do it, it might be via a transformer or coupler. I've used a Wein device before. In the end, I prefer my Cactus V wireless transceivers because I can make my old flashes work remotely.
10-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Smigol. It's a shame as I really like the flash.
10-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have found a tx/rx for a very reasonable 15, but it says it only works with V2/V2s wireless flash trigger only. I don't understand what that means any ideas?

10-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chicken George Quote
I have found a tx/rx for a very reasonable 15, but it says it only works with V2/V2s wireless flash trigger only. I don't understand what that means any ideas?
I believe that means that the unit is half of a transmitter/receiver set and that you need the transmitter, too.

I second smigol's recommendation of a Cactus V5 unit. Get one and you can insert it between the hot shoe and the flash and safely fire almost any old flash unit. Get two and you can move the flash off your camera, which can dramatically improve your photos.
10-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The cheap workaround: An SYK-series flash trigger, usually around US$5-10 shipped. Put this cube on your flash shoe or on a bracket or external support, put your hot flash aboard it, and use the camera's onboard flash to trigger it. This is the only way I use old flashes.
10-24-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thans Guys,

I have just ordered two of the SYK3 units, sounds exactly what I want.

Mike