Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

K-7 memory glitches

Greetings folks...

For years I have been a minolta guy. Not cause I thought they were the best but I got a good deal on an 8000i back in the day and once you start buying accessories you sort of get penned in. Then I went Minolta digital cause my lenses fit and well you know how that worked out. Minolta went away.

So when my 7D got tired I started looking and settled on a used Pentax K-7. When I was in High School I had a Ricoh KR-10 so I had a few manual focus K mount lenses... But this is not why I called.

My K-7 works pretty good and I am satisfied for the most part but I have two issues. When I go to preview a shot right after I took it...like within a second...cause I am a little ADHD...the image will not display and it tells me something like image will not display. And the image never shows up. Its as if I stop the image from processing or something. My tired old Minolta 7D would let me call up the image immediately but they were only 6MP and not 14. Maybe the K7 processor cant create file that quick.

The other error is I get card full messages before the card is full. And after fiddling with the camera, deleting a few shots or something, it will let me continue. Before you say something like "well of course it will let you take more once you delete a few" This happened while the camera said I had room for 79 more shots. And after deleting a couple I was able to take another 60 or more shots. I wonder if the card has a dead spot in it or something or is my camera having hiccups. Anyone else ever experience these two memory related issues?

Thanks.

10-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not that I experienced your problems, but I have two immediate comments. (Like you I am a K-7 owner.)

- The image is always slow to display if you have a lot of in-camera PP. It may takes up to 3-4 s to display in some case.
The solution: remove all form of in-camera PP and do your P on computer afterwards.

- Memory cards are cheap nowadays and your should get yourself a 16Gb or 32 Gb card of good quality. Like any support (Hard Disk, Floppy disk), you do not want to run your card full.
The solution: buy a second larger card like a Sandisk 16 Gb Extreme III clas 10.

Hope that the comments may assist....

Last edited by hcc; 10-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.
10-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I agree with hcc comments about not using too much in camera processing. I don't experience that kind of problem you described. On the other point, the SD card you are using could potentially be the issue as well. I use SD cards that are at least class 6 to avoid any write delay.
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Occasionally, if I jump the gun on trying to preview an image on my K-r, it'll just show a black screen - but no error - until I press the button again, which brings the image right up. I suspect it is still processing the image, and nothing is really wrong. If I give it even a second, no problem at all. I have most PP options disabled, including on camera NR. I also have instant preview disabled, hence the need to push the button when chimping.

As for your second problem, I think it's a bad card. First try reformatting it, and keep tabs on how it goes, but you should probably pick up another before something worse happens.

10-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Seconding Philosothical's comments and clarifying slightly - format the card in camera, not on the computer. It can make a difference.

I disagree hcc about card size. The rest of his notes are spot on. Cards can fail unexpectedly. I use Sandisk Extreme III 4 Gb cards, and use several of them in rotation. I always have my grip on the K10, and there is a card in there that I can swap out at any time. When I swap it out, I put another clean one in there. With the K5 I would probably move up to 8 Gb cards, but they are overkill for the K10. I get 240+ on the 4 Gb card. I always swap out in plenty of time before the card is full. I don't lose a whole game or vacation or ... because of a card failure.