Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

History of the Green button and differences tween Samsung and Pentax

Was the green button pressent in the *ist series or did it arrive later?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at a Samsung version of the *ist dl for my 7 year old which does not appear to have a green button... Not a major deal breaker as he already switches my K-x from 'M' to 'Tv' or 'Av' when he uses it (read 'steals') and he's a quick learner ... I'm looking at 'body-only' deals as he can have my old kit-18-55 and a fast manual 50-1.7 that I no longer use (plus some other AF-Zooms that pretty much sit on the shelf) to get him started...

Some oter Q's....

Did the Samsung versions of Pentax cameras have 'all' the same features or just some?

Did samsung use different OS/software in their cameras?

Advance thanks...
Dave

10-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax and Samsung versions of the DL had the same features. There is no green button on the DL either. Pictures of the DL and feature reviews can be found in the camera review forum.
Pentax *istDL - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database

Tim
10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The green button used to be a high-end feature. I remember searching my *ist DS for a green button and wondering what I was missing. On older/lower tier models without it, the AE/L button handles most of the green button functions like stop-down metering.

I think Samsung DSLRs only have DNG RAW, no PEF.
10-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think Samsung DSLRs only have DNG RAW, no PEF.
The Samsung DL has PEF but not DNG.

Tim

10-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
The Samsung DL has PEF but not DNG.

Tim
OK, that answers one question I was looking up. I was wondering because some older Pentaxes did not use DNG compression, so file sizes were larger.

I know the *ist DL eventually got a firmware upgrade to use SDHC cards but I'm not sure about Samsung. I can't get anywhere on the Samsung web site. Without SDHC, you'd be limited to 2Gb, around 188 RAW files.
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The green button first appeared on the istD, IIRC, and was initially used for resetting a few various values to their default settings. The first firmware revision added a semblance of metering to non A series lenses by way of the green button
10-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK... Thanks guys!

What about the OS (Operating System)?
Is the Samsung OS and menu-set-up the same for the Samsung versions of Pentax cameras, or did Samsung run their own version?
My boy can get around the menu system of my Kx fairly fluidly (he knows that to change anything without asking means DEATH!!), is (if different) the Samsung software similar?

Thanks again
Dave
10-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll send a PM to my nephew. He has owned both (the DL was stolen from his car), It may take him a couple of days to respond.

Tim

10-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Was the green button pressent in the *ist series or did it arrive later?

Reason I ask is that I'm looking at a Samsung version of the *ist dl for my 7 year old which does not appear to have a green button... Not a major deal breaker as he already switches my K-x from 'M' to 'Tv' or 'Av' when he uses it (read 'steals') and he's a quick learner ... I'm looking at 'body-only' deals as he can have my old kit-18-55 and a fast manual 50-1.7 that I no longer use (plus some other AF-Zooms that pretty much sit on the shelf) to get him started...

Some oter Q's....

Did the Samsung versions of Pentax cameras have 'all' the same features or just some?

Did samsung use different OS/software in their cameras?

Advance thanks...
Dave
the green button was on the *istD and all pentax top of line cameras. Similar function on the DS and other consumer bodies (one thumb wheel cameras) was with the AE lock button
11-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #10

As far as I can tell, the Samsung version has the same bells and whistles...I used to use an *ist DL and now shoot with a Samsung GX 1L...as far as the menue structure, I use the manual for the *ist DL2 when I have a question about it.

sorry it took me so long to respond, I was having computer problems.

Matt