Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Af200S Flash gun and KX

Hi,

Managed to get a Pentax AF200S flashgun at a car boot for a tenner. Have done some googling to try and get the manual, but keep finding things that tell me this won't work with my camera. It does fire when I press the shutter, so my questions are this: how will this flash work with my camera? What settings do I have to use to make it work and where should I avoid using it?

10-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first thing to check on old flashes is whether the voltage will be too high for the camera. The AF200S trigger voltage is safe, so that's fine. The flash has a switch on the right side labeled MAN, then two AUTO settings, red and green. Red is a lower power, green is higher. The AUTO settings use a sensor on the flash to decide when the flash has been on long enough to light up the scene, and then it cuts off power. The MAN setting fires full power. At full power the flash has a more power than your onboard flash. The ASA slider doesn't change anything about flash power. If you set that to the camera's ISO setting it will give you a rough idea of flash distance and apertures to use. The W and T stand for Wide and Telephoto.

When you attach the flash and turn it on, the camera will know it's there. When it's charged, you should see a lightning bolt in the viewfinder. Shutter speed will be limited to 1/180 or maybe 1/160 if you're using 1/3 stop settings. The flash will fire when you shoot. The specs say the flash beam should go wide enough to cover the kit lens at 18mm, but you might check that. If it's not wide enough you'll see vignetting (darker corners). It might run out of power at the 55mm end, depending on your scene and ISO. I have used this before with just trial and error in M mode, until the flash power and ambient light looked right to me.
10-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have one of these. I think on manual it's always full power, and on the auto mode it relies on the ASA and distance settings combined with some kind of light reading to calculate power. They have specified f-stops to use in the manual. I have used it as specified in the manual with reasonable results. I now have a PTTL flash so the old Pentax gets used with some cheap wireless triggers and/or a home made softbox for Macro or portraits.
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Manual here> http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/AF_200S_FLASH.pdf