Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

x90 Av mode problem

I am trying to capture a basic narrow aperture shot of my little boy with an out of focus background and have turned the dial to Av and set the aperture to between 2 and 4 depending on the shot. all the results seem to capture him and the background in full focus--ie ap seems to be wide open. am i missing something?

10-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wide open means a shallow depth of field, so it actually sounds like everything is working as intended Plus, the x90 has quite a big of DOF to begin with because of the way the lens is designed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
oh what I meant was that it doesnt put the back ground out of focus.
10-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
which is what i want

10-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sazzie Quote
I am trying to capture a basic narrow aperture shot of my little boy with an out of focus background and have turned the dial to Av and set the aperture to between 2 and 4 depending on the shot. all the results seem to capture him and the background in full focus--ie ap seems to be wide open. am i missing something?
The bad news: Due to normal technical design constraints inherent to that model camera it's far from ideally equipped to achieve the pictorial results that you desire.

Think of the X90 as a general purpose, versatile, albeit simplified, photographic tool primarily aimed at the needs of a mainstream-user audience; whereas the more tech-oriented design, featureset and capabilities required to effectively drive the outcomes that you seek (meaning: deliberate and specific artistic control), can only really be delivered by geek-targeted models.

The good news: No prob. Learn to adapt to it and enjoy what you have, because if you permit limitations like that to hinder your overall photographic experience, then you've completely lost the plot and no camera in the world would ever be good enough.

.R. -- Any camera can take amazing pictures.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-23-2011 at 06:32 AM.