Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would buying it second hand eliminate decentering issues?

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Sigma is a good lens. I recommend buying secondhand to eliminate decentering issues.

BF/FF is not really an issue outside of bokeh shots.

10-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #17
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
adorama.com (Used equipment). They work as well and give me as good shots as the lenses that I puchased new.
Just in case you haven't heard, Adorama now offers a full 6-month warranty on all used items rated at V, D, E+, E & E- (3 months on all other grades), and includes a full 30 days warranty!

And then there's me; always only an email away for advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama Camera: Helen@adorama.com
10-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian

just my $0.02

I have the sigma 10-20F4-5.6 and have used it extensively since i bought it in early 2006. It is a great lens. I considered other options at the time, but these were limited.

THe tamron 10-24 was not out yet, I did not want the Sigma 12-24 DG because it was just too big and expensive, The pentax 12-24 was more expensive and not as wide, and the pentax 10-17 fisheye, once you correct for the distortion is no where near as wide for a rectalinear image as the 10-20.

I have absolurely no regrets with this lens. When I travel with this lens on holidays, I take about 60% of all my shots with it, and half of those are at 10mm, so I would truely miss the 2mm if I had taken either of the available 12-24 options at the time.
10-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Helen. I just ordered my Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 from Adorama (just like I ordered everything else before). I have not needed to change anything so far. Everything works perfect. Just a quesion: I bought the kit (which includes the lens, one filter and something else), the lens alone was the same price. Am I missing something?
P.S. I asked for $0.02 and got a lot more, thanks everyone.

10-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Woohoo Pepe, congrats! I expect you're going to love the 10-20 /f4.

I made a mistake in my earlier post. I said I'd rated the lenses as they are listed in the topic. That is wrong I rated them as they were listed in the first line of your first post. "Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, or Tamron 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5, or Pentax DA 12-24mm f4". I didn't have any lenses to compare, the order came from looking at hundreds of images and reviewing the specs as best I could.

The last time I checked the Sigma 10-20 lens club thread had more liked posts then any other lens club. There's just something about that lens.
10-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Woohoo Pepe, congrats! I expect you're going to love the 10-20 /f4.

I made a mistake in my earlier post. I said I'd rated the lenses as they are listed in the topic. That is wrong I rated them as they were listed in the first line of your first post. "Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, or Tamron 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5, or Pentax DA 12-24mm f4". I didn't have any lenses to compare, the order came from looking at hundreds of images and reviewing the specs as best I could.

The last time I checked the Sigma 10-20 lens club thread had more liked posts then any other lens club. There's just something about that lens.
Riff: I did the same, I looked at every photo in Flickr taken by all three lenses and Sigma won. Plus the certainty used by Sigma users in this thread, and that photo taken by the Sigma posted here taken by DonRak!
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Why would buying it second hand eliminate decentering issues?
Because you can ask for sample images at multiple apertures and focal lengths and see yourself if the amount of decentering in that copy is acceptable. Easier and cheaper than playing Sigma Roulette.

As far as Sigma being more liked than Pentax, I think it's due to Sigma being owned by more than the Pentax. I personally think Pentax seems to be the better lens, talking about visible microcontrast with minimum PP. But I've never tried one myself so take with a grain of salt

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/133-pentax-da-12-24mm-f4-al-ed-if-review--test-report?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/pentax/146-sigma-af-10-20mm-f4-56-ex-dc-pentax-k-rev...report?start=1
11-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #23
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Thank you Helen. I just ordered my Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 from Adorama (just like I ordered everything else before). I have not needed to change anything so far. Everything works perfect. Just a quesion: I bought the kit (which includes the lens, one filter and something else), the lens alone was the same price. Am I missing something?
Nope; I guess you picked up one of our special deals!

06-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Forum Member

Greetings! I too, have a similar dilemma...I own a K-5 with some nice Pentax glass, i.e., DA*55, FA43 Ltd, DA16-45, DA50-200. I'm planning a trip to San Francisco, and want the following for specific scenes: Pentax 17-70, and Sigma 8-16. I understand that the Sigma 8-16 has stellar image quality in terms of sharpness and field of view. If you check my site (totalqualityphoto), you'll see that I'm very much into sharpness and detail. My problem is that I must sell either the DA*55 and/or the 16-45 to help finance the 8-16. (I really don't want to part with any of these lenses.) Would you recommend the Sigma 8-16. especially considering the aforementioned Quality Control issues with Sigma? I have always been an OEM guy, always using camera-brand lenses because I always thought that they offer the best in terms of build and optical quality, but I could be wrong. Thank you for any advice!