Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D cant run the scm motor

I bought a DA star 50-130. and ofcause the focus motor gave up. After 10 days I got it back, but now it seems to bee that the camera dosen`t run it. I tryed it on a different house, and the lens work fine there. (it diddent work on other houses when it gave up on mine K20). Has anyone have any experient that the ultrasonic motor can destroy the conection inside the house? I have tryed other lenses on my house with smc motor and none of them work.

10-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Does the Screw drive AF work with the 50-135? You may have a very special camera there. There are some people with dead SDMs that would like to have a k20d with a dead SDM drive. I've heard of this once before here on the forums. The thread title said something like 'I broke my K20d and couldn't be happier'. Might be worth a search.

10-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

I guess it is conceivable that damage could happen to the circuitry in the body if the lens due to a fault shorts the two power contacts in the lens mount.

But that's just a guess. I have had an sdm lens die on me without any adverse effect on the camera.

If you have, or can borrow, an old power zoom lens you could see if that would work. It uses the same two power contacts.
10-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
The screw drive AF work, but the focus is very bad.

10-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
@Ole. I have tried other lenses with ultrasomoc motor, and none of them work with my camera. My lens witch have got a new motor is working perfekt on other houses. These ara new ons and I dont know anybody with and old one. As you menshend the question is if it is possible that the lens could have dammege the circuity in the body. I have talked with a pentax service and they say that this is not possible, but I have no other explanation. I dont want to pay for a repair, if it turns out that other have had the same problems.
10-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

I don't have a K20D so I cannot check how it is constructed, but could it be the case that the power contacts in the body could be bent so that they do not make contact with the lens contacts anymore?
10-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
It happen to me last July (Independence day) trying to switch fast from tele to wide (shooting fireworks) and forgot to turn off the camera, after that my HSM lens stop working, maybe I accidentally shorted the 2 contacs. I ended up selling the camera because the repair will cost $200 to $300 according to Camera Repair Japan.
12-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well. I got the repair of the house for free. The shortcut of the ultrasonic motor in the warranty period cowered the cost of repairing the house.