Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

(K-7) Strange blue/red glow on LCD

Only lately i've noticed this on my k-7... whenever the screen is dark (be viewing an actual photo, preview right when i take a photo, or switching modes--or any other thing where the screen is black or really dark) these odd blue and red patches appear in the middle. Blue is on the left, red is on the right, always in the same place. As far as I can tell, these do not appear on my pictures—the pictures are totally fine. Just on the LCD which can be very annoying and misleading when I'm shooting in the dark (which is what i do most).

I've included two pictures... not the best as they were taken with some crappy pocket camera but I hope you can see what i'm talking about and provide some input as to what may be causing this.

(ignore the reflection of me taking the picture, hehe, the blue spot is more obvious, but the red is just to the right of it)

(less visible, but rest assured it's still there)

10-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #2

Original Poster
and I just noticed that nowhere in my post did I include a polite sentence like "thank you for your time reading this and helping"
but here it is.
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If this is happening regardless of what is on the screen, so even when viewing menus and such, it could only be a bruised/damaged LCD screen. I've seen some pretty weird effects of LCD bruising on monitors and other devices, so it wouldn't surprise me if these colour sprays are the result of that. I suppose it could also be damage to the leads that go to the screen, but that's pure speculation.

I don't know of any way to fix it, aside from getting the screen replaced.
10-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #4

I have the same on mine - the LCD must be damaged. It doesn't bother me but if I were to sell the camera I guess I'd better replace it. Anybody knows if Pentax 3-yr warranty on K7 covers such things?

10-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
Okay, so we're pretty sure it's a hardware problem. I'm going to take it to the repair store near me (they've done maintenance on it before fairly well) and let you know if it's covered by the warranty. Otherwise I'm probably going to pay whatever it takes; I love my camera and this thing really bothers me.
10-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
latest development: the screen started to flicker. just got back from a stressful (for the camera) drive in which i shot a hundred or so pictures in a small amount of time—i turned it on at home and hit the playback button and the first image said "THIS IMAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED" and then the screen started to flicker around the edges (it's still doing it) and some ghost text is stuck around the edges.

I'm going to continue under the assumption of broken hardware and take it to the shop tomorrow as planned, but i'm worried that this may be deeper than that. the fact that it couldn't display an image and showed that text instead worries me… as well as the ghosting which doesn't seem hardware related but more buggy software? not sure. let me know if you have any further input.