Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

New body

I currently shoot with a pentax k-x and I love it.. After the first of the year, I would like to invest in a new body.. What do you suggest? a k5 or k7 or???

10-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Forum Member

I would choose the K-5. If Pentax comes out with FF, then I would choose the FF
10-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you love your k-x, why buy a new body? Buy a new lens and skip K-5
10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would go with the K-5, especially considering the current price. It's like a 1.5 generation upgrade

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would just like 2 bodies.. My sister likes to shoot too so I would let her use the older body.. I got a 24-70 this year, also love that.. Not sure what would be a good one to go with there either
10-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A Kr will feel very much like your Kx, but it's a 1-generation upgrade. A K7 or K5 will offer more control. The K5 is a 1.5-generation upgrade. A later camera like the K5 will probably satisfy longer, leaving you with less urge to upgrade again soon. Pentax-Ricoh may or may not announce the next-generation upgrades soon, which may or may not drive down prices of older bodies.

So the questions are: Can you wait? Can you hope for price drops? How much do you want to spend? See, it's all about time and money.
10-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, if you're waiting till the first of the year (2012), then I would wait till then to decide. I know that's a little ambiguous, but by then the K-5 price will probably be even a little lower than it is now, and there just might be a new model released which you might want instead.

See my reasoning? If you were going to buy right now, then we'd be dealing with a whole different deal...
10-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I got a *ist DS in 2005 and upgraded to a K-7 in 2010. The K10D sounded really great, the K20D even better, and the K-7 was exactly what I wanted. It is a big step up. But the upgrade still sounded a lot better when comparing specifications. When looking at photos, it isn't anywhere near as big an improvement. With the K-7, I took some photos that I couldn't with the DS, and some photos were better. But next time, I will definitely wait for 3 generations before upgrading. I think 2 generations is not enough.

10-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
But next time, I will definitely wait for 3 generations before upgrading. I think 2 generations is not enough.
And that depends on our 'needs' and budget. I may wait 4 gens or more to supplement the K20D, 'cause I can't afford to buy sooner! Others may need an upgrade every gen, for business reasons. We all pick our own comfort levels.
10-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslewis02 Quote
invest in a new body
I am in the same situation. I don't know if a new body can be seen as a good investment, perhaps a good lens can? If you can afford it, i.e. (1) you don't have to sell the K-x to help fund the new purchase, but are still on a budget, which seems to be the case if you are thinking of either the K7 or the K5, I would wait and see what Ricoh comes up with first. I cannot see the price of the K5 rising again, and by waiting a bit you might actually get a "better" K5, with “fewer” "problems", for less.(2) Perhaps Ricoh comes out with a substantial improvement on the K5, and having some time to save for it, you might get that one. (3) if you are wealthy enough not to worry about the money that much, go for the K5 and when the new K-Ricoh version arrives, buy that and give the K-x to your sister, leaving you with a K5 and K-Ricoh.
Personally I’m going to wait and see what comes out of Ricoh first, I got my K-x about a month before the end of its cycle, and at first was mad at not waiting another month for the K-r, before buying, but after reading all the "problems" with the K-r and K5 since then, and having a problem free K-x till now, I think it is better to upgrade just before the end of the cycle, thus getting a better product cheaper. In the end it is a Q of can you wait, do you want to wait and do you have the money, and IMO that will differ from person to person. Add a bit of gut feeling to a clear head, and the right decision will come to you.
10-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions I am a planner so thinking this far ahead for a purchase I won't make until the first of the year is pretty normal for me I research and research.. I have enough saved right now for the k5, but will continue to save and get a new body and lens