Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

New camera with old lens

I just bought a new K5 (yeyyyy!!!), and I'm thinking about buying an old 35 f2,8 from Chinon (K mount).

Will I be able to use full Manual mode with that lens or just Av Mode??
What about metering? Center, spot, any limitations?

Regards!
Viernes

10-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if there's an A setting on the aperture ring, it should work like any other modern lens. if not, you might want to read up a little on manual lenses
10-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If it is non A k mount you can use full manual or to have the camera meter you can use the green button (or something similar depending on the body) and it will stop down to meter for exposure. I have an ist-ds so your body may be different, but you can use automatic modes to a point (they will continue to constantly adjust for changing exposure but they will not stop down so it only works at widest aperture). On my body I think it only allows center spot metering but I could be wrong. I other words, any k mount lens will work fine possibly with some limitations which probably depend on which body.
10-27-2011, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

If it's an A-type with base contacts, you get everything except AF -- shoot in any mode, save lens data in EXIF, selectable metering & focus points, etc.

If it's an M-type lens with mechanical aperture linkage, shoot wide-open in Av or with auto-stop-down aperture in M mode with the Green button.

If it's what I call a K-zero-type lens (bayonet flags only, no aperture linkage -- not likely!) then shoot in Av and control the aperture manually.

With M-type or K-zero-type, or any adaptered M42 lenses, there's only center-weighted metering and focus confirmation IIRC. Maybe spot also -- RTFM.

10-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For K mount lenses,(no A setting) you have the following functionality. All of this asumes you set the special function "use aperture ring" to permitted

You can "meter" by using the green button in Manual MOde to set the shutter to match the aperture selected. This not need to be done for every shot if there are no lighting changes, but only occasionally.

In Av mode the camera will still take a photo but the lens would be wide open.

The limitations of K mount lenses are.

You are limited to spot or center weighted metering, If you select Matrix metering you default back to center weighted.

Obviously you will have manual focus, but if you set the focus mode switch to AF-S the shutter will only trip with focus confirmation (this is usually referred to as trap focus), in AF-C or Manual, the shutter will trip when you press the button.

I believe the only focus indicator you can use is the center one.

Shake reduction works, but for zooms you can only enter one focal length, and the camera cannot adjust this as you zoom.

The In body flash will fire, but only at full power, so you would need to use manual flash calculations to set the aperture, based on the GN of the flash and the lens aperture.

Metering may have some errors, you should perhaps plot this out in advance so you have no suprises. I have not checked my K5 yet, but I have posted the metering accuracy of my *istD, K10D (with stock screen, *istD screen and split image screen) and K7 with stock screen, all using my SMC50/1.4 and you can see that th enewer cameras and especially the K10D have issues with manual metering accuracy.

the camera DOES not support P-TTL flash with Kmount lenses (see above comment for flash) so either get a flash with it's own sensor and "Auto" mode capability or at least variable output if you intend to do flash photography.
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Obviously you will have manual focus, but if you set the focus mode switch to AF-S the shutter will only trip with focus confirmation (this is usually referred to as trap focus), in AF-C or Manual, the shutter will trip when you press the button.
Whatever you do don't pull a homer simpson like I did with this one. I tried to figure out how to make it work several months ago and never got trap focus to consistently work. I just now figured out why. My body is an ist-ds so I don't know if newer body's are the same. Setting the camera to af-c or af-s in the menu is not enough to enable it. On mine at least, there is an AF/MF switch on the front of the body. It has to be set to AF for trap focus to work, despite the fact that it is a MF lens.

Trap focus can be good if you have a problem manual focusing as it will only take the picture when the camera detects focus. Further, with a moving object, you can just press the shutter all the way, and when the subject comes into focus and focus is detected, it will fire.
10-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Whatever you do don't pull a homer simpson like I did with this one. I tried to figure out how to make it work several months ago and never got trap focus to consistently work. I just now figured out why. My body is an ist-ds so I don't know if newer body's are the same. Setting the camera to af-c or af-s in the menu is not enough to enable it. On mine at least, there is an AF/MF switch on the front of the body. It has to be set to AF for trap focus to work, despite the fact that it is a MF lens.

Trap focus can be good if you have a problem manual focusing as it will only take the picture when the camera detects focus. Further, with a moving object, you can just press the shutter all the way, and when the subject comes into focus and focus is detected, it will fire.
Actually I meant the front body switch. You must have ODed on donuts or something

10-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Actually I meant the front body switch. You must have ODed on donuts or something
I just looked at the k-5 and see there is an af-c/af-s switch on the front of the body. I assume that newer bodys are like that which would explain why setting it to af-s didn't always work for me and why I got confused. On my ds, af-c/af-s is set in the menus so if you tell me to set it to af-s I go into the menu and set it (and that alone won't make trap focus work). There is also a af/mf switch on the front of mine which must be set to af for trap focus to work (thats that part I missed).