Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by capote Quote
The legs are fine but too short for an average NA male's height unless you extend the centre column to the max and the ball head is too wimpy. I'd recommend the 294 series which has a better ball head (496RC2) Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod W/QR MK294A3-A0RC2 B&H The 294 series tripods are as tall as 055 series but have slimmer round legs that's flat on the inside. I guess by doing this Manfrotto was able to shave off a fair amount of weight without compromising on the tripod's stability. It felt very stable to me while I was playing around with it at a camera store. With the rebate that's being offered (US only ), the price is certainly right!

10-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can attest to the Manfrotto suggestion, I have the 055XPROB tripod with an older 49XRC2 ball head (manfrotto). not the lightest thing in the world but the variety of angles/adjustments and durability make it worth it for me. Though not sure that's what your looking for and not sure you can find that for $100?
10-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is your camera and lens combo? A light combo would mean you don't necessarily need the heaviest tripod. How often do you plan on using a tripod? If not that often, then you don't need the most durable. Have you checked out tripods in store and seen the different types of heads? It's important because a cheap tripod often has trouble fine tuning the adjustments to the head position you need.

That said, I'm using a cheap Sunpak with a trigger head (50 bucks) that suits my needs for now. I plan on getting a heavy sturdy Manfrotto because I am starting to get heavier long lenses and I need fine tune adjustments for long shots. However, my current shooting basically consists of point at target, shoot, so the Sunpak isn't a bad tripod.

It's also 6 feet tall at highest extension, so that's not half bad. I would say getting a tripod that can go to 6' is a pretty important thing, because it gives you the flexibility of extending the sections you want and still achieving a height you want.
10-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #19

Original Poster
the suggested 294 looks good… i can do 170. but i'm a little thrown off by the weight... or maybe it's not that big a difference. i do nighttime shooting with my k-7 and 35mm da or 55mm da* but i'm always in places i'm not allowed to be in that have a lot of things i can trip over and not very steady terrain and lots of police and security that want to chase me out so… that's why i feel like every pound matters.

Last edited by capote; 10-28-2011 at 07:19 PM.
10-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just sprung for the Sunpak Platinum Plus Ultra 7500 TM. It weighs in at about 6.5 lbs, 2 levels, the center section slips out the top for a 6 section monopod. Fully extend, legs and center section is about 7 ft. and it comes with 2 quick release baseplates. with taxes in SoCal was $104.44. Heavy and reasonably solid for something not made in Italy.. My 0.02 cents worth. Cliff
10-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Have a read of this, good advice (speaking from experience here). I ended up with an Acratech ball head and a Gitzo tripod. Yes it cost a bomb, but I could not be happier and I look at it as an investment, as I expect these to last a few years.
10-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #22

Original Poster
my point in this thread was to get the best i can afford… i'm afraid i'm a 20 year old underpaid intern and full time student and won't go over $200 flat out. that's why the 294 was a good idea… i'm trying to get a feel for the weight though and if it's easy to quickly throw in a case and scurry off without too much bruising.

my current crappy $20 tripod beats the shit out of me on fast runs.

10-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

the suggested 294 looks good… i can do 170. but i'm a little thrown off by the weight... or maybe it's not that big a difference. i do nighttime shooting with my k-7 and 35mm da or 55mm da* but i'm always in places i'm not allowed to be in that have a lot of things i can trip over and not very steady terrain and lots of police and security that want to chase me out so… that's why i feel like every pound matters.
Don't forget the 25.00 mail-in rebate, which brings it down to 145.00. If you are doing stealth shots, tripod may not be suitable for you. Instead, look for a monopod and a shoulder brace, a shoulder stock or beanbags. Lightweight gear you mention above could probably use a Gorilla pod quite effectively as well. I was under the impression that you wanted a reliable, robust tripod on a budget that you don't end up replacing every few years, I think the 294 could deliver that.

Edit: If you have to be quick on your feet, quick release the camera and throw it in the bag, fold up the legs, throw it on your shoulder and run. Even quicker, fold up the legs throw it over your shoulder (camera still attached) and run. Collapse the legs while running.

Last edited by excanonfd; 10-28-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add
10-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #24

How about the Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT?
10-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #25

Original Poster
yep getting that 294 as soon as b&h works again, partly because it comes with a decent head. i'm tired of this anyway, i really just need a new tripod.
10-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
okay... used market for what though? any good brand suggestions?
go look at Benbow Mispelled Auction Bargains - Find eBay Misspelled Auctions and Mistyped Benbow eBay Auctions
probably the heaviest tripod you can even buy and and also the most bullet proof and definitely the most stable
10-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IIGQ4U Quote
How about the Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT?
Or the Alta Pro 263 is really good! Also, the GH 100 Pistol Grip head is sweet too!

That combo has held anything I've thrown at it.
10-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #28
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Check this one out. I checked it out because Ken Rockwell was raving about how amazing it is for the price. I got one, and it is quite decent. For the price, amazing.

AX620B100 Dolica 62 inch Proline Aluminum Alloy Tripod and Ball Head, Supports 13 lbs
I bought this one from Adorama. I've only used it twice, but I'm very impressed. I especially like the built in spirit level, weight hook, and the ability to reverse the post to take macro shots. It feels solid and tight. It's probably heavier than a carbon fiber model, but at a fraction of the price.
10-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Or the Alta Pro 263 is really good! Also, the GH 100 Pistol Grip head is sweet too!

That combo has held anything I've thrown at it.
Exactly! I don't know why you don't hear more about Vanguard.

The angles you can achieve with their tripods is great and they are very well made.
10-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IIGQ4U Quote
Exactly! I don't know why you don't hear more about Vanguard.

The angles you can achieve with their tripods is great and they are very well made.
And they are tough and solid.

...or at least mine is!