Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

k-7 remote advice

I'm looking to buy a remote for my K-7. issue is between IR and wired.

range isn't a problem at all… the only reason I want one is so that I don't have to touch my camera when doing bulb exposures. i just need to be able to conveniently click a button in my hand and have the shutter open then click again to close or something.

10-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The remote F is definitely the way to go. It can be used for family portraits as well. And, it doesn't just dangle there off of the camera.
10-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
seems similar to the remote wp—are there any disadvantages in the WP? cause if they're the same except for extra buttons and weatherproof i'll probably go for the WP one.

however i'm also concerned about angle… will i have to hold it at a certain angle for it to work?
10-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

WP has extra buttons, but they don't cause the K-5 to do anything extra. But it is waterproof.

I bought a $3 remote on that auction site. Works fine. If it gets wet, I'll buy another.

10-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I would get the WP just for lightning shots in the rain.
10-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't have my K-7 here to check, but as I remember, some features of the K-7 are disabled in IR remote mode (probably something related to wireless flash).

You should check it: set the K-7 in IR remote mode, and turn on the menu for flash, you'll see some icons are grayed out. If those features are important to you, get something like a Yongnuo set that can do RF. The K-7 treats the Yongnuo receiver as a wired shutter release.

Other than that, get 2 or 3 copied of the cheapo one from FleaBay or DealExtreme.com.

The Pentax F IR remote control used to have an advantage: it can be stored in the K10D/K20D vertical grip. But that doesn't apply to the K-5/K-7.
10-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I would get the WP just for lightning shots in the rain.
very good point, but i didn't think this was doable originally >.> will my k-7 and a WP lens be good in solid rain?

cause if so then that's great and pentax++
10-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by capote Quote
very good point, but i didn't think this was doable originally >.> will my k-7 and a WP lens be good in solid rain?

cause if so then that's great and pentax++
I have not used any WR lenses in heavy rain. Just DA* and they are fine.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
10-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

One thing you should know about the the weatherproof one -- you can never change the battery. The thing is permanently glued shut, so when it dies that's it. If non-weatherproof is ok, I got an off-brand generic one from Amazon for under $10. Works great.
10-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've got the CS-205 (Cable Switch). I don't mind the length of it but you can't really get far compared a wireless one. but for bulb mode it's fine for me.

Only thing I found out is that it acts more of wired shutter remote if compared to the wireless rather then a remote. C3.16 & C3.17 only applies to IR remote, that's what i found out with my CS-205 doesn't bother me though cause my N900 nokia has IR remote function for my K-7