Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Do I need to get my lens cleaned?

So I've had this M-50mm F1.4 for about 3-4 months now and I notice that my bokeh shots have these things in all of them. Does anyone know what could be causing them? Should I go and get this lens checked out? Personally it doesn't bother me THAT much in other shots. mostly curious...

Attached Images

10-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I have no idea but could it be fungus? Have you taken a good look through your lens from the front and back elements on various angles in good light? If you see any strands that look like the stuff in your bokeh on the glass elements (inside or out) its prob fungus. Which I think can be cleaned but could be pricey.

Is the lens hazy at all in its general performance?

I am no expert though, maybe this is some other phenomenon
10-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you post a picture of the glass? That should be visible on one of the lens elements if it is a lens artifact.
10-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
As requested, here are some images.

Attached Images

10-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I see no fungus in the lens bur lots of specks but that shouldnt be causing that problem i think
10-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Wondering if it isn't perhaps something on the sensor and we are seeing a reflection off the rear element.
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shine a flashlight through the lens while looking at it from the other end. That will reveal everything that is inside the lens. If you see something with a pattern that matches the one in your shots, then yes, the lens could stand a cleaning.

10-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Okay I've just checked and I think it is the little specks I have in there . Looks like I will need to get it cleaned. What would be a ballpark price for something like this?
10-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think the pattern you are seeing is possibly just imperfections in the glass. There was an interesting old thread on bokeh and specular highlights that had some good examples of patterns in the highlights though they were usually concentric circular patterns usually on lenses with an aspherical element. I doubt cleaning would have any effect, I may be wrong though.
10-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KeithM2 Quote
Okay I've just checked and I think it is the little specks I have in there . Looks like I will need to get it cleaned. What would be a ballpark price for something like this?
You would have to see THAT pattern and it would have to be covering a LOT of lens surface in order to cause that in back lit bokeh like that. If all you are seeing is little specs, you might see a dot or 3 in your bokeh but I doubt that they are causing what you show in your original post. Fungus is quite obvious when seen.

11-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd suggest you clean the back element (again? assuming that was the first thing you did) and test again, see if there's any change. Looks almost like a bit of greasy something on the back element to me, but I'm just speculating. It's out of focus in your shots, so I can't see how clean it is there.
11-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
I've cleaned the elements as best I can. The dust bits are all internal for sure and I see the littlest resemblance to the bokeh I showed in the original shot given the right orientation.
Attached Images

11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I could be wrong but that second pic looks like it could be fungus, especially around the back element edge and bottom right area.

It would seem like a LOT of dust otherwise, usually you only get a few specs of dust. The fungus would be a much more likely explanation for that bokeh than dust IMHO