Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Newbie with K10D needs help!

Hello:

Newbie here!

I have had my K10D for about 8 months. I mainly have used it for shooting my daughter at cheerleading (football & now basketball), which means low light situations. I ALWAYS have to lighten my images in my Photoshop Elements 5 software. I just purchased the 18-250 DA Pentax lens, and for the first time noticed a circular "shadow" in the bottom middle of my image (I was taking photo of my card group using wide angle). I would like to post the image somewhere where someone can maybe tell me what this is. I've read a little about vignetting, but don't really no if this is what that is, since it's in the bottom middle of image. I have left the hood on the lens, and don't know if that's a factor. Anyway, if someone could tell me where to post the image, I'll post it and enter the web address here.

Pentax suggested I send the camera in and have them look at it, but I've read it takes forever to get it back!

Tks for all your help!

Connie

12-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can upload your picture to the forum gallery here. From what your explaining it almost sounds like sensor dust. If it is a little dark spot that always shows up in the same place then I'm guessing that is what it is. I would have to see a picture to know for sure. Anytime you change a lens there is a chance dust will get into your camera, and anytime the mirror flips up, so anytime you take a picture, that dust can move around. It is easy to fix if that is what it is. I have a rocket blower that I bought pretty cheap from B&H that I use every time I change a lens. If it is a really bad spot there are some cleaning kits you can buy that will get it off, but you need to be careful when touching the sensor, if you damage it, all your pictures will look bad. Thats why I use the blower, so I don't have to touch it directly, just with air.
12-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
ctt

Original Poster
Ok. It's uploaded under Personal description-problem....
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me, that looks like the shadow from your lens or lens hood. I'm gonna guess that you're not getting that shadow when you don't use flash. Is that right?

12-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
To me, that looks like the shadow from your lens or lens hood. I'm gonna guess that you're not getting that shadow when you don't use flash. Is that right?
Nice eye, I'm guessing that is the problem too, now that I see the picture.
12-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The shot with flash is showing the shadow of the lens hood. When you zoom more it will finally disapear out of the picture. To avoid it take the lens shade off or add a bigger flash unit to the camera. Taller flash will set up higher and clear the lens shade.
If you are using the camera flash in a large room (like a gymn) the pictures will be dark, unless you are very close. Maybe 10 ft or less. The camera flash is a very small flash designed for emergency use in a small room (like at home). Bigger rooms take a lot more flash because the light doesn't bounce off the ceiling and walls to help out. Think of a stereo system. Loud at home but not very in a gymn. Same with flash.
To shoot sports flash is usually not much help. Try putting the camera on AV mode. Adjust aperture to smallest number ( example f4). This is the largest lens opening and lets in the most light. Use the FN button to change ISO to 800 or 1600. Don't use the flash unless you have to. Hopefully the gymn lighting will allow a shutter speed of 125 to 250 sec. You can also get brighter prime lenses that will make indoor available light shooting much easier. A 50mm f 1.4 would be a great choice and will let you shoot in much, much lower light. Hope this helps.
thanks
barondla
12-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
ctt

Original Poster
Thank all of you! It was the lens hood. I tried one here at home with and without it and the lens hood was the problem! I usually use the 540 flash in the gym, and yes, the pictures are almost always too dark. I have tried the aperture at the largest lens opening and the ISO at 800 & 1600, and there still isn't enough light. I have never used a lens hood before, and someone recommended that I just keep it on the camera at all times, so I didn't know any difference! I am soooooo green, I learn something new everyday!!!!!