Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax IstDs Vs. Nikon D3000, which one to choose?

Hi everyone, I have a Pentax IstDs and I saw on an internet ad a nikon 3000 for 300 dollars, I would like to know if this one is better than my pentax, I would like some advice, any help would be appreciate it.

11-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A friend has the d3000 i'm less than impressed to tell the truth,. It's a newer sensor than your but not by much. but the build quality compared to the ds will be a huge letdown
For $300 I'm certain you could find a used Kx which would be far superior, and a used K20 would also be close and built like a tank.
if your ds is just the kit lens but in all other areas is servicing your needs the $300 might be better put into a better lens. I'd rather shoot the ds with a good lens and less MP than a D300 with the really inferior nikon kit zoom it comes with. MP aren't everything
11-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
for that price, get a K-x it will be far superior, as eddie said.
11-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers, they helped me a lot, I have another question: I want to buy a flash for my pentax IstDs but I dont know that much about flashes for my camera, the only one I have seen is the Pentax AF 360 but it is a little expensive for my budget right now, any suggestions? I want one that is good in both price and quality, any help would be appreciate it, by the way, I love my pentax dslr, I know it is old but it takes very beautiful pictures.

11-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the metz are good AFAIK, but to tell the truth i rarely use flash so i'm not the best source here (I have a 360 and it's ok, but think i should have gotten a metz af50 or 58. the Sigmas seem to be a good low price alternative (i think the current one is the 530)
Certainly when i used my ds more a flash was required - nice thing is if you come across an older ttl model the ds supports it, the new bodies are pttl only
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pimentel1980 Quote
Thanks for your answers, they helped me a lot, I have another question: I want to buy a flash for my pentax IstDs but I dont know that much about flashes for my camera, the only one I have seen is the Pentax AF 360 but it is a little expensive for my budget right now, any suggestions? I want one that is good in both price and quality, any help would be appreciate it, by the way, I love my pentax dslr, I know it is old but it takes very beautiful pictures.
You might be able to find an inexpensive Pentax AF500FTZ. It used to be the top of the line TTL flash, so it has a lot of the same features of the current top of the line flash. It is mostly not compatible with the newer DSLR cameras but it works fine with the *ist DS. I bought 2 for around $50-60 each but some sellers cling to the idea of getting back what they originally paid. If you ever buy another Pentax DSLR, the AF500FTZ will only work in manual mode, but other than that, I think it's great.
11-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the quick answer, I think I will check the AF500FTZ, that is just what I need, thanks again, this forum is the best.

11-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The Sigma 500 series flashes work very well no my DS. I have the 500 DG Super and I would expect the newer ones to work as well.

Tim
11-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pimentel1980 Quote
Hi everyone, I have a Pentax IstDs and I saw on an internet ad a nikon 3000 for 300 dollars, I would like to know if this one is better than my pentax, I would like some advice, any help would be appreciate it.
I think it depends on what you want to do with the camera?

The D300 would most likely be comparable to the K200 from pentax, i.e. a 10MP CCD sensor. (in fact i think the same or similar sony one)

What you get is more MP but a very limited dynamic range, hogh contrast sensor really good only for 100-400 ISO.

What you give up is obvious, all your lenses, total incompatability even with nikon legacy lenses (OK they mount and you can trip the shutter) but mo metering at all.

You would be better to get a used K10D or K200D and have shake reduction, HSM support retain all your lenses etc.....

personally i see no point. Pentax equivelent bodies would cost the same. Aside from that if you have any legacy lenses the *istDs is a very good body to keep as it supports TTL flash for legacy lenses, something newer bodies don't support
11-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer Goudge, I will keep that in mind about the cameras you said, i will keep the IstDs for now, im thinking to buy a flash to learn more from pro photography, thanks everyone for the help, I must say that so far this is the best forum I've been to.
11-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I agree that a K-x would be a far better option and not much more expensive than a D3000 (if at all).
11-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #12

Regarding flashes. If you purchase a non Pentax flash you'll want to make sure the flash trigger voltage is safe. Below is a link to a site that lists flashes by manufacturer and model, it lists the trigger voltage for each model. I'm not sure how much trigger voltage the digital ist series camera can handle, I was told they can handle up to 30 volts but I would check to make sure before using a flash that triggers at over 10 volts.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
11-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The Nikon d3000 is superior to the Pentax *ist... However, like others have said you could get a K-x for the same price as the Nikon you've seen and the K-x will Sh*t all over the the d3000...

Whatever you do, keep the *ist as there's a lot of fun to be had with TTL flash and old lenses...