Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #1

K-x or K-r: a price level related newbie question :)

Hi all!

Almost (I think) a new pentaxian here I want to ask the experts something first.

After reading around a LOT i've come to the conclusion that the pentax k-x and k-r are really nice cameras. The main challenger is the Nikon D3100 because it comes with a nice package deal where I live, however there's something drawing me towards Pentax.

But, there's always a question of $$$. I initially wanted a K-x but I feel from reading alot on this and other forums that most people recommend the slight upgrade to the K-R for some nice added features.

To give you a feel of the price level here in norway, a new K-x costs $625 with the 18-55 kit lens. A K-R with the 18-55 lens costs $750. (1usd : 5.6nok)

However Ive come across a virtually unused K-X for $357 on the second hand market with the 18-55 kit lens, the owner didnt care for DSLR and went straight back to compacts. (I haven't come across any good K-r deals) I guess my question is this; would you go for the K-x or should I put more into it and go for the K-r? Ive heard about the better viewfinder and the faster AF and I can't decide. However getting the K-X for half the price of a K-R would free up some cash for more lenses

What do you think? Oh, and what is regarded as a high shutter count on these cameras? I saw some nice deals on the marketplace here with around 10000 shots. However all imports adds 25% tax to the price in norway so its really better to buy domestic.

11-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It sounds like you're paying that 25% premium either way, considering that the K-r with 18-55 can be found for below 600 in North America now. That's a nice price you found for the used K-x, and it sounds like it was only lightly used. I'd be tempted, thinking that should I decide to upgrade later, I could probably sell it at a slight profit.

Shutters are rated for 100k exposures, but that isn't a hard wall, some cameras die sooner or later than that (and not always due to the shutter). 10k isn't that much. I've used my K-r what I'd consider a lot, since I got it in June, and blown through 17k clicks already. Even so, at my present rate it would take about 4 years to reach that 100k. I'm sure I'll be after a K-5 by the time it wears out, and the warranty is shot.

Quick edit: And I think you're right, compared to the D3100, which is an OK lil camera, both the Pentax models offer a lot more potential. Nikon cripples their entry level models pretty heavily.
11-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were in your shoes, I would get that used Kx and spend the savings on some nice lenses.

If you have 'read a lot' already, you know the pros and cons of the two at least in technical terms.

The photographer may matter more than the equipment but once you learn how to use the camera, better lenses can make a world of difference. I have an older K2000/Km camera that works fine except in low light and sports shooting-for which I use the K5. But I used the beginnner model for a while.

You can always upgrade the camera later but if you get good lenses they can migrate to your new camera if that happens.
11-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. The thing is that while I'm obsessed with readings reviews, tests, feedback, I havent really used any DSLR before so I don't really know whether I will need or feel the difference. And I've read alot about happy K-x users :-)

Yeah it seems as the price domestic or international included tax is about the same - so I would feel "safer" buying domestic of course (in case something happens) if I were to buy new. I think I'll make a bid on that K-x.. And get the 55-300 lens which everyone's rather happy about. :-) And a bag and some accessories. Any particular accessories worth buying? Or any inputs from k-x users?

11-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daniekr Quote
I havent really used any DSLR before so I don't really know whether I will need or feel the difference.
Prepare to be blown away, by either model. It's a huge leap in both image quality and control of features compared to P&S cameras.

There's a current thread here that will answer some of your accessories questions: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/162284-what-som...equipment.html and the topic has come up lots of times before, just do a quick search if you need more. The basics are: Lens hood, tripod, maybe a circular polarizing filter.
11-01-2011, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Prepare to be blown away, by either model. It's a huge leap in both image quality and control of features compared to P&S cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by daniekr Quote
I havent really used any DSLR before
Its not uncommon for people to upgrade from a P&S to a dSLR and then be disappointed, especially when using kit lenses. You may NOT see a big difference until you actually know how to use the capabilities of the camera. Otherwise it will be a big expensive paperweight only...
Many people I know have dSLR's but they dont seem to be using them regularly after a few tries...

Once you get to know the buttons and menu on your new camera, and start taking pics and if they dont look like what you expected, try reading this book. Most people find it really helpful:
Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

Then take more pics. The more pics you take, the better you will get [usually]. Post pics on forums like these to get feedback. Join some informal photo sharing groups on this forum, for instance, the Single in...group. For example:
Single in October - October 31st - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Once you take a lot of pics, you will quickly realize that you like to take certain kinds of pics more than others. Then get a better lens for that kind of picture taking: For instance, in zooms you may want to get the tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens for people photos or if you find that you prefer more of landscapes and general purpose the tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens are both reasonably priced.

Best of Luck.
11-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you psychdoc for a helpful answer Looking forward to start experimenting.

When I said i had never really used a DSLR it is true, however (im not saying this is a replacement, but) back some time I owned a konica minolta dimage i7, which in some way was made to "act" like a DSLR, it has all sorts of settings and after using it for a while I became familiar with the basic mechanics and terms. After the minolta i spent some years with a compact (I went crazy from the lack of controls) so I really wanna get me a DSLR now.

I really enjoy taking people (and also animal) pictures, it's just more interesting shooting something living.

....Sadly it seems like the used K-x has been sold :-( Then the K-r gets a little bit more interesting I guess. The price difference in % isn't that much.
11-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #8

I was going to get a K-x. I waited looking for a great deal and then they discontinued them in the US. Which was fortunate because I ended up getting a K-r and I really love it.

I'm sure I would have been happy with the K-x; they are both really nice entry cameras. I did a ton of research on Nikon, Canon and Sony. In the end, I felt I got the most for my money with the K-r and it is a just a step up from the K-x.

This is just my preference, I am not trying to knock the kit lenses or anything, but if I could do it over again, I would purchase the body only and buy used FA and F series lenses in the focal lengths I want. I got a long zoom FA lens on e-bay, like new for a great price and it just works great with this K-r. And personally, I would rather have something closer to a 35-135mm focal length for a walk-around street lens than the 18-55mm. I just can't do much with that focal length. At least for the type of images I want to capture. But everyone is different.

But I have learned that if you are on a budget, one of the beautiful things about the Pentax system is that the DSLRs are backwards compatible with all the old lenses and the FA and F series in particular are plug and play.

11-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
I hope the K-x is a great buy because I... ordered one

Got a nice deal on a K-x for $399 incl shipping, fairly low shutter count, kit lens, memory card, lowepro bag, rechargeable batteries and some filters, plus all the box stuff.

I've also ordered a 70-300mm tamron ld di, and in the process of aquiring a smc 28mm f2.8 and a smc 55mm f1.8. :-) I think that'll cover the most for now.

Reading about basic composition and stuff and cannot wait to get my hands on it. I believe the tamron will arrive first and will serve as a major teaser meanwhile i wait for the body.....
11-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

Oh, that sounds great-you'll have everything you need. That will be a really nice set up.
11-06-2011, 05:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, yes I think so... Oh lord, I've been diagnosed with LBA even before my camera has arrived!!