Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
I can recreate the problem with a Lexar SDXC card as follows:
  1. take several shots (RAW+JPG) - only need 5 or 6
  2. if I import these, there is no problem
  3. now delete 2 or 3 of the images in camera
  4. now take 2 or 3 more shots
  5. now 1 or 2 of the images will be corrupted, either cannot be displayed in camera, or is corrupted when imported
  6. I have also had images that display in camera but but can't zoom in. These are corrupted when imported.
I have NEVER had any corruption after formatting the card, but ALWAYS after I delete some recent images and the take more.

I've used different programs to import, have used both K-5 and K-7 cameras and tested 2 versions of the same card. I put it down to something about this model of card and probably others. Hopefully it is something than can be addressed in firmware, but in the meantime I just never delete in-camera when using my Lexar 64GB SDXC card.
I just did the suggested test with 2 cards:

- Lexar Professional 128GB SDXC : I was able to reproduce the problem
- SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I 45MB/s : The problem did not happen

Possible conclusions:

- There is a problem with the K-5 handling SDXC cards
- There is a problem with the SDXC cards
- There is a problem with Lexar Professional cards

If somebody else has another brand of SDXC cards and do the test will be great, thanks

NOTE: Did the exact same test with JPEGs and the problem did not happen.

11-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I had this problem with a Minolta DImage. It was the memory card. Change memory cards.
11-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by krmitchell1055 Quote
I had this problem with a Minolta DImage. It was the memory card. Change memory cards.
But we all have tried different memory cards, I don't think all of them are deffective
11-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may also have a look at these threads:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/164661-problem-k-5-handling-sdxc-cards.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/163607-...e-sd-card.html

I remember there were some more, but can't find them at the moment.
Also other brands have some problems (not helpful to the OP, but good to know even spending 4k$ does not necessarily save you headaches):
QuoteQuote:
Leica comments on memory card problem with the M9
For the first time, Leica comments on customer complaints concerning newer memory cards with the M9. It seems the problems can occur when using the image view while the camera is still saving the contents of the cache to the card. This can cause data loss and damage to the memory card - most complaints were about errors in connection with SDHC cards from SanDisk.
Leica states a firmware update would not offer a solution to the problem, as they rule out an error in the firmware. For the time being, they recommend to use only cards which have not shown problems. If you have to use a new card for the first time, you should only start to scroll through pictures after the storing process was completed. After a data loss, this card should not be used again, and one may try to recover lost data by specialized software.
(Roughly the translated content of a news ticker message from the german publisher Heise from last August)

11-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
I just did the suggested test with 2 cards :

- Lexar Professional 128GB SDXC : I was able to reproduce the problem

- SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I 45MB/s : The problem did not happen
I just did it with one (Lexar Professional C10 64GB 133x speed) : I was unable to reproduce the problem.
I shot 6 photos, manually deleted 3 in camera, then shot 3 more.
11-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren8306 Quote
I just did it with one (Lexar Professional C10 64GB 133x speed) : I was unable to reproduce the problem.
I shot 6 photos, manually deleted 3 in camera, then shot 3 more.
The Lexar 64GB card it's an SDXC card, did you test RAW+JPEG or just JPEG ?, thanks
11-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Lexar 64GB card it's an SDXC card, did you test RAW+JPEG or just JPEG ?, thanks
Just RAW.

11-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren8306 Quote
Just RAW.
That means maybe the problem is only with SDXC cards while doing RAW+JPEG ??
11-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't usually do that, but I will test that way later.
11-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #25

I just did another quick test, took like 50 pictures in JPEG only using the Lexar 128GB SDXC card, deleted 3 of them, and I got "Card Error" messages, it was not possible to view any photo, prior to delete the 3 photos I was able to view each of the 40 pictures without any problem, the only change was to have deleted 3 of them. The only solution was to format the card and loose all the pictures.
11-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #26

Possible conclusions:

- There is a problem with the K-5 handling SDXC cards
- There is a problem with the SDXC cards
- There is a problem with Lexar Professional cards
Having tested more than one Lexar SDXC in both K-5 and K-7 I would suggest that the issue is 'compatibility' specific to Pentax firmware handling of Lexar Professional SDXC cards, but OK with other brands.

If the K-5 had a general problem with all, or more, brands of SDXC cards then it would already be well documented. Vice versa for Lexar Pro cards in other cameras.

So, in my logial opinion (IMLO), compatibility with Lexar Pro cards must be something that can be fixed in Pentax firmware.
11-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #27

Yesterday I tested two brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC cards and I got the exact same error, so clearly there are issues with the K-5 handling the SDXC cards. After that I checked again two Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC cards and NO PROBLEM at all. I do not think is Lexar related.

I've reported the problem to Pentax US multiple times, I hope they will do soemthing.
03-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #28

I've updated to the new firmware version 1.13 on K-5 and 1.12 on K-7 and the problem appears to have been fixed. Well done to brosen for reporting it Pentax.
03-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar if different problem on my K20 (see thread about green lines and cast ). It was intermittent and on different cards and the shots between perfect. It seems tohave been solved after a firmware upgrade as well. It has not recurred after more than five months. Hope yours is solved as well