Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

[6x7] Mirror goes up when new frame is winded

Is someone have/had a problem with mirror in 6x7 body?
Sometimes when my Body shake in bag a lot, when I wind a new frame - mirror is going up at the same time?
Any ideas? Is it a big problem? Serious mechanical issue?

11-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
That does not sound good! In a normal chain of events, the mirror should come down and allow the cycle to complete. Winding should not cause the mirror to activate and so that sounds like some part of the cycle did not complete and the mirror is left active or a coupler is stuck? You need it looked at. If it is caused by a loose component, it could cause other issues.
11-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
MysteryOnion, after taking a photo mirror normally came down. I can focus normally as well. But when I move winder, mirror moves up.

Last edited by blindmix; 11-05-2011 at 04:00 PM.
11-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Sorry, did understand that... I was concentrated on just the things around the mirror up issue. Looking over the diagram, the "Mirror Hook" portion seems to have the highest interaction with the action of winding and at the same time it is tied in with the setting of the curtains. If a slip is happening, the concern might be an increase in pressure to the system. Some questions...
Non-MLU or 6X7 MLU or P67 MLU?
Uneven spacing of frames?
Is some exposures show odd things such as late curtain closure or black strip on some shots?
Does the counter keep going in 120 mode?

11-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have 6x7 MLU version. Exactly, the spaces between the frames are differentiated. Exposures looks good. If the counter in 120 mode shoud stop after 10 exp., it does not. It goes on.
11-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

It does sound as something is not where it should be. My 6X7+MLU does disengage after 10 in 120 mode, however, when I first got it... uneven space and clutch issues as well as gearbox issues. Eventually a spring snapped and I had to send it off to Eric Hendrickson, he is the Pentax pro nearest me. My knowledge of the insides is still not complete as I've not been able to gain a dead camera to tinker with, but so far I know is that your camera should have a look over for slipping worn bits inside. High use on an older version body and the first things to go will be the transport clutches, friction gear, some of the actuating lever alignments, electro-magnet (degaussing).
11-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
At service

So far ... I gave the camera to the site (the local expert on film cameras). Waiting for a diagnosis.