Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

<$150 tripod for Pentax K-r with 300mm DAL

Hi everyone, I recently just bought a Pentax K-r combo which includes the 300mm DAL lens. I am relatively new to photography, but plan on focusing on nature and night photography, so a steady tripod is required (would prefer carbon fiber). My budget is up to $150 for both the tripod/head, and height is not much of a factor given I'm only 5'6". Does anyone here have any experience with the following tripods or could they give any suggestions? As stated earlier, would prefer carbon fiber but I'm also open to aluminum legs (such as Slik 400dx), but concerned about the "stiffness" and the impact on the image quality if using the 300mm lens.

Amazon.com: Sunpak Pro 423PX Tripod, 3 Section With Compact Pistol Grip Ball Head and Case: Electronics

Amazon.com: Ravelli Professional Carbon Fiber 3 Axis Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Quick Release Plate and Carry Bag: Camera & Photo

Thanks in advance!

11-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

With regard to the sunpak model... If you read the reviews you'll see that the legs are well regarded but the head falls short of being great...

This is not unusual... I have a 'Hama' tripod but I have scraped the head that came with it for a manfrotto one... Ideally I'd like better legs to go with my manfroffo head but the Hama is stable enough for the time being...
11-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the price it's hard to beat the Dolica Proline.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo
11-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I needed a lightweight, but sturdy, tripod for hiking around and purchased this one: Dolica GX600B200 60" Tripod.

It's very simular to the one boriscleto recommended, but I think the Dolica I bought has a little bit better head.

Check ebay or amazon for the best price.