Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens Hood Recommendation

Just received Quantaray 28-90 f/3.5-5.6 and need a hood (55mm). I'd prefer to be able to use lens cap without removing the hood. Recommendations, please. Thanks in advance.

11-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it can get any more universal than this:
Hoya 55mm Screw-In Rubber Zoom Lens Hood for 35mm to H55RH B&H

It would work with that lens as well as dozens of others that you might have lying around

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've seen Lens Hood Hats that you can use with ahood inplace, you can buy plenty of hoods from ebay and use a hat with them, they are a neoprene sock that goes over the front of the hood so works as a lens cover with the hood inplace, and you slip it on and off as needed.

11-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

hman - I have the same lens (nice lens for the $, btw), and I've been using a hood like this one: 55mm 3-in-1 3-stage collapsible universal lens hood | eBay

It works just fine, but the Hoya hood Adam suggested is probably higher quality.

Last edited by paulh; 11-07-2011 at 02:36 PM.
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you don't mind gambling a little, most of the plastic petal type lens hoods I have gotten off ebay will take a lens cap.
this is not one I have specifically bought, just an example of the style.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/49mm-Flower-Petal-Lens-Hood-Canon-Nikon-Sony-Pentax-...#ht_2830wt_952
The gambling part is that I have had a couple that the lens cap pops out and will not stay in place but most work fine. The other gambling part is that the size of lens cap that fits is not the same as the size as the lens cap that would fit the lens. You need one a little bigger if memory serves. Center pinch lens caps work much better as there is not clearance on some to get your fingers on the sides of the lens cap. They are not threaded on the front to take a cap by the way, but the spring loaded plastic caps will grip inside the smooth inside circle well enough to stay in place. These kinds also only work if the front element doesn't rotate when the lens focuses of course. considering you can get them for 3-4$ or less and lens caps for 1-2$, its not a lot of money gamble. I personally have a lot of lenses so I have bought all different sizes of lens caps and hoods including spares so it wasn't an issue finding a lens cap that fit.
11-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I've seen Lens Hood Hats that you can use with ahood inplace, you can buy plenty of hoods from ebay and use a hat with them, they are a neoprene sock that goes over the front of the hood so works as a lens cover with the hood inplace, and you slip it on and off as needed.
any chance you have a link for the neoprene sock? I like that idea,
11-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is what is pictured above:

Hood Hats
11-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
This is what is pictured above:

Hood Hats
Thanks

11-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great suggestions; thanks to all!
11-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #10

Caps for lens hoods

I had "socks" for my Sigma 70-300, and Pentax 50-200 and lost both. (They have to be "scrunched" up and stuck in your pocket when not being used.) Not wanting to buy more at $12 each, I found that a lid from "I can't believe it's not butter" fit the outside of the Sigma hood and works fine, and I have an endless supply. A lid from another product fit fit inside the Pentax hood. Both look really ugly, but I don't have to try to fit my fingers inside the hood to replace the cap, and the bright yellow "butter" cap leads to meeting some nice people. Many of whom, by the way, have never seen a Pentax before.
11-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We have dozens of all kinds of plastic lids- save the containers for left overs. Great suggestion!