Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
M42-K adapter availability

Many posts have questioned the availability of new Pentax-made M42 to K mount lens adapters. I just got one from an Asian source, and in the green Pentax pouch it included a multi-language notice about the company name change due to the sale to Ricoh. That seems to show that Pentax either still makes or is packaging the adapter; so it is likely to still be orderable from the Pentax web store.
It works very well, and I'm surprized that I seem to be able to focus my old Super-Takumar 50 1.4 more accurately than my Pentax-M version on my K-5; even with the stock screen. The ideal focus point seems more detectable. The "focus indicator" on the K-5 seems useless for accurate focus with a 1.4, as it indicates in-focus for too broad a band of lens movement. Anyway, I'll enjoy using the Takumars again.

11-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

Good info, did they ever announce they would discontinue this product?
If so, its certainly not a shrewd marketing pitch to make people buy new lenses.
11-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackseh Quote
Good info, did they ever announce they would discontinue this product?
If so, its certainly not a shrewd marketing pitch to make people buy new lenses.
AFAIK it's never been discontinued, but they only seem to do one production run a year. It really shouldn't be a problem finding one. It is a part that has been in production for more than 35 years.
11-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
this adapter is what makes Pentax so appealing for most of us

11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Many posts have questioned the availability of new Pentax-made M42 to K mount lens adapters. I just got one from an Asian source, and in the green Pentax pouch it included a multi-language notice about the company name change due to the sale to Ricoh. That seems to show that Pentax either still makes or is packaging the adapter; so it is likely to still be orderable from the Pentax web store.
It works very well, and I'm surprized that I seem to be able to focus my old Super-Takumar 50 1.4 more accurately than my Pentax-M version on my K-5; even with the stock screen. The ideal focus point seems more detectable. The "focus indicator" on the K-5 seems useless for accurate focus with a 1.4, as it indicates in-focus for too broad a band of lens movement. Anyway, I'll enjoy using the Takumars again.
I got the same thing and got mine thru B&H sounds like same description, green pouch. I probably paid way more then you. I was trying to figure out was mine a geniue pentax one or knock off. In any event it works well. Since saw a post of people having a problem with the knock offs and went to pentax store site and saw that they were on back order. I then called b&H.
11-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I ordered one from B&H last week after they were surprisingly listed as in-stock. (Cause they are out of stock everywhere.) It is supposed to arrive today -- hopefully it is the real thing. I was going to post that they had them but now they are back to "temporarily unavailable".

------------

Update: got my adapter from B&H today -- it is the real thing. I shouldn't have doubted coming from B&H, but since they have been nowhere to be found lately I thought maybe it was a mistake. It is marked Philippines instead of my older one which says Japan, and it does have the Ricoh announcement in there as well, so it is pretty new...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 11-08-2011 at 07:34 PM.
11-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I saw a couple on ebay from Japan going for around $60 last week. I've misplaced the link though. No idea if it's a new or old one though?
11-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 adapters - found 1 on the forum, and got the other on craigslist here in Vancouver. The first was in a $100 tub of lenses, and the second I found for $30 in the Marketplace. Both are Pentax adapters, but were made at different times - one says Asahi Pentax and Japan, while the other says Pentax and Japan. Both identical to the one at Pentax Mount Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews, with the printing on the reverse side from the adapter in the photo. Both work just great.

11-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Those are two pretty good scores Arn! I paid around $40 odd for mine. It's been worth it simply because I can now use the 10+ m42 lenses in my stash.............
11-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's currently one for sale at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/164711-sale-g...t-adapter.html
11-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Cool! Unfortunately 'US Only'

Ah well. I've got one which is the most important.... a second would be nice as back up, but not urgent.