Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 Lens Release Button Fell Off

The lens release button fell off my K5 last night. The piece that's now detached is the black button itself with a black shaft that appears to insert into a female part on the body, and a soft rubber (?) part attached to the back of the button that I'm guessing is part of the weather sealing. Anyone have experience with this and know a simple way to fix? I can send it to Melbourne but will be without the camera for 4 weeks, which I can't do right now. The other option is use electrical tape to hold it in place (it works if I hold it in) till I can send it in. Other than possibly impacting weather seal, any issues with that I might be missing?

11-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You have my sympathies, there seems to be an epidemic of this problem and there is no simple DIY fix. See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/147149-lens-release-butt...-my-k-5-a.html

CRK should be able to turn it around faster than 4 weeks as I don't think it's a return to Japan job, maybe ring them and ask?

You could buy a 2nd hand K-x to tide you over and sell it once the K-5 comes back. I'm hanging onto my old K-x for exactly this reason, the K-5 has a patchy QC record and I can't imagine being without a DSLR for 1+ months if/when my K-5 karks it.
11-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, looks like I'll have to send it in. I'd already spoken to CRK when I posted. They quoted 2-4 weeks, so I have to plan for hte worst. I have the button so I'll tape it in place till I get back, then send it in. I gave my wife my K10 so I'll have it along just in case something else falls off.
11-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club of K-5 owners with parts falling off. We may need a whole forum section on DIY K-5 repairs. When my button popped out I had only recently gotten the (3rd) body and did not feel like going without for another month. I applied a very thin line of gel superglue to the bottom edge of that rubber skirt you noticed. Carefully placed it in position w/o getting glue on anything else. Taped the button snug but not depressed for a few minutes and its been fine for the 5 months since. YMMV but if you are a DIY kind of person this worked for me. If yours is brand new you might try a swap with your retailer though as I do not recommend people do repairs like this except to relieve frustration.

11-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
The lens release button fell off my K5 last night.
CRK have an office in Brisbane. Walk your camera in to them and ask for a swap over (maybe ring them first). Maybe they also have repair techs in Brisbane too, so your camera may not need to go down to Melb at all. Could be a quick fix.
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
You have my sympathies, there seems to be an epidemic of this problem and there is no simple DIY fix. See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/147149-lens-release-butt...-my-k-5-a.html
Actually, there does seem to be a rather easy DIY fix in the link you posted. Someone reported using superglue and it seems to have worked. In fact, a later post said that the Pentax service center told them the button should be glued back on to make it stay in place.
11-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Actually, there does seem to be a rather easy DIY fix in the link you posted. Someone reported using superglue and it seems to have worked. In fact, a later post said that the Pentax service center told them the button should be glued back on to make it stay in place.
I'm sure Pentax loves this sort of DIY repair. They don't have to deal with warranty service, and if the customer botches the guts of their camera with Superglue, they don't have to deal with warranty service.
It's a win for Pentax no matter what the outcome.

11-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm sure Pentax loves this sort of DIY repair. They don't have to deal with warranty service, and if the customer botches the guts of their camera with Superglue, they don't have to deal with warranty service.
But not so much a win if I botch it, get p***ed off and go buy a Nik D7000 thinking it will end my misery. Then Pentax also gets to deal with my follow up posts on the crappy QA with no mention of my crappy DIY work. Fortunately I tend to be very lucky with repairs on things I have no business repairing.

I would have dumped a car, spouse or computer long ago if I had as many breakdowns as the k-5 had in my first 12 months but something about it keeps me coming back for more abuse.
11-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Let's hope your spouse never gets sick then... ..maybe then you could try your hand at home surgery... ..or maybe just super glue her.
11-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Let's hope your spouse never gets sick then... ..maybe then you could try your hand at home surgery... ..or maybe just super glue her.
I would LOVE a shot at doing a bowel resection on the kitchen table. Thanks for the idea. I could use the k-5 to record an educational vid for youtube.

But really, the instant gratification of DIY repairs out-weighs the risks for me. I certainly do not recommend it for most folks. And like I said, I have always been very lucky.
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

I would have dumped a car, spouse or computer long ago if I had as many breakdowns as the k-5 had in my first 12 months but something about it keeps me coming back for more abuse.
It's like having a wife who gets a lot of colds, but when she's healthy she's a mink.
11-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter

It's like having a wife who gets a lot of colds, but when she's healthy she's a mink.
Exactly right and well put.
11-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree - if a customer uses too much glue, and it creates trouble, it's their fault. However, it isn't brain surgery, and to one like myself who has build many models over the years and is used to working with those types of adhesives, I would take the risk without any reservations.
11-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yah no, before I bought the K5 I really toyed with switching systems. Didn't have that much invested in Pentax, mainly some older lenses I got from my Dad. Thought I'd done my homework when I went this route but I'm doing a bit of 2nd guessing now. I'm crossing my fingers that Ricoh bought the dslr business to grow it and will fix these silly, fixable issues.
11-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, my electrical tape fix works perfectly, and since the tape's black I can avoid the "silver" edition (lol)