Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lighting ??'s

well i just got a used k10d and am looking in to getting a monolight and a softbox kit and know nothing about this matter. What would you recomend that wont break my walet i have about 100-200 buck to use and it does not have to be the greatest set up. This would be my first ever mono and soft box i have only used a flash gun in the past and i was thinking of getting something better for family and friend shots. i was also wondering if i were too buy one of the setups that i have seen on b&h or adarama would i have to buy any thig else to triger the monolight??

thank you

11-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheetah Qbox 24
I bought this softbox a year ago and it is worth every penny. Service is top notch.
they might have something that you might need CheetahStand Home Page

good luck
11-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you already have an external flash, you might try using a softbox with it. $45 will get you a Cowboy Studio 24 inch softbox. Cheap monolights generally aren't very bright and get hot.

Another option would be to get a bright compact fluorescent bulb and a umbrella, either a reflector or a shoot through. An umbrella holder with a screw base for a light bulb is less than $20. You can get an 85 watt CF bulb (300 watt equivalent) for less than $20 from Amazon. A 105 watt runs about $30. Add an umbrella and stand and you can get set up for around $100. Add in a reflector for fill light at another $15-$40, and you will get much more flexible lighting. For a cheap hair light, a flashlight works fine. A swing arm work light with a clamp for $10 also can work well a background or rim light. Just make sure that your separate bulbs have the same color temperature (blue-yellow balance).

The place I'd spend a bit more is on the light stand. Many of the kit ones have very narrow bases and are tippy. Check the width of the stand. I wouldn't buy one with less than 36 inches. Mine is a meter wide (39 in.) That might add $20 to your total price, but you won't tip your light over as easily.
11-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Check out the strobist blog and the strobist (or pentax-strobist) flickr groups to see what you can do with a flashgun and modifier (such as softbox or umbrella)... If you already have a flashgun there's lots you can do already...