Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Question about white balance and exposure

Hi everyone, I really like this forum, the best one I have been to, I have a question about white balance and exposure: I always use my camera on auto WB (I own a Pentax IstDs) and I would like to know how to get accurate custom white balance, I have seen on some sites the Expodisc and the ColorRight Pro and Classic, what can you recommend for white balance? I plan to buy a flash soon, I have the following lenses: Pentax Da 18-55mm (kit lens), Pentax Da L 50-200mm and a Pentax M 1.7 manual lens, any help would be appreciate it since I really dont know much about the subject.

11-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a detailed comparison of the various types:

Product Comparison: White Balance Filters (Professional Photographer Magazine Web Exclusives)
11-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I was pretty skeptical of clicking on that test because I'm not a big believer in these kinds of filters. I'm a videographer and I carry a blank piece of copy paper in my back pocket to use for white balancing. I'm sure there are products that are purer white, but not much can beat it for accuracy, price, and ease of replacement. lol So I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the coffee filter did in those tests. Unless a person is hyper-critical about the accuracy of their colors, there's no need to purchase an expensive piece of equipment for white balancing. It's far more important where you white balance, than what you white balance upon. I always try to read the dominant light source and let everything else fall where it will.
11-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

This is really all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-DGC-Digital-Grey-Lanyard/product-reviews/B00...DateDescending