Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I found the metering to be just right on the k7 and I assume the k5. The K20d and the entry level models all need adjustment.

11-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm also wondering if the flash operates properly with an A lens. With the M lens or an M42, it always shoots full blast, and cannot be controlled. I hope the A lens allows for P-TTL and output adjustments.
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Yes, everything works with an A lens. That's why I sold my M28/2.8 for the A28/2.8.
11-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I found the metering to be just right on the k7 and I assume the k5. The K20d and the entry level models all need adjustment.
I ame woefully behind in characterizing my lenses only checked a few, including the K50/1.4 on my K7 and have not done any yet on my K5, when I get time, i will know for sure how good it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I'm also wondering if the flash operates properly with an A lens. With the M lens or an M42, it always shoots full blast, and cannot be controlled. I hope the A lens allows for P-TTL and output adjustments.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yes, everything works with an A lens. That's why I sold my M28/2.8 for the A28/2.8.
You should also consider picking up an *istD or DS. Aside from being a great little camera, they support both TTL and P-TTL flash, both on and off camera and with the built in flash also. Although only 6MP that is fine unless you go bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 inch (or A4 for the imperial impared metric world)

11-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

You should also consider picking up an *istD or DS. Aside from being a great little camera, they support both TTL and P-TTL flash, both on and off camera and with the built in flash also. Although only 6MP that is fine unless you go bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 inch (or A4 for the imperial impared metric world)
Yes! It's so nice to be able to use flash with M & K lenses on the *istD. It's too bad the newer models lack TTL metering - very useful feature.
11-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I didn't see anyone mention that you can also meter an M-lens by using depth of field preview while in Manual mode. The meter becomes fully functional using depth of field preview i.e. turning the on/off lever to the right which stops down the lens. When doing this the meter is fully functioning responding to changes to the aperture ring or shutter speed. Using the green button is faster but usually overexposes by a stop to a stop and a half. I usually just use the green button then change either the aperture or shutter speed accordingly. I just find it faster doing it that way. Using depth of field preview will more accurately meter the scene outright.

A lenses definitely are easier to meter more accurately but the M series has some interesting and unique focal lengths. Like the 120mm and 150mm. For such focal lengths like the 50 f1.4 or 28 f2.8 finding an A lens is the way to go.
11-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Rico - Didn't know about that...just gave it a try. Looks like the meter is on, and while holding it in DOF mode, you rotate the front button to adjust the shutter speed according to the meter visible in the viewfinder.
11-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes - the DOF to stop down is the preferred manual exposure with M lenses, and does work well - if only the lever weren't so awkward to use. Too bad the body shape didn't let them copy the "self-timer" lever of the MX, as that also functioned as stop-down if pushed towards the lens, and worked very well. (The MX copied the older Canon FT, which had a larger lever in the same postion, that functioned to stop down and turn on the meter, as it only metered stoped-down.)

11-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #39
Pentaxian

The difference between green button metering and DOF preview metering is DOF preview let's you see thie exposure without changing the settings green button gives you the setting when you press. I wish they added a green button option to do a quick stop down and display thie meter reading only for a second or two.
11-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #40
Veteran Member

For a "Beginner's Corner" you get quite in-depth replies in this thread.

11-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
For a "Beginner's Corner" you get quite in-depth replies in this thread.

If the intent is educational, by the third page the OP has learned quite a lot and may not be a beginner any longer on the topic
11-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #42
Veteran Member

If the intent is educational, by the third page the OP has learned quite a lot and may not be a beginner any longer on the topic
And by the 6th page they're a seasoned pro and member of the family, by assimilation. Or else they've run off in terror whilst we regulars continue with our usual mono- and dialogs.
11-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right, just wait till someone asks me about it! They'll be in for an earful.

This is all such a great help....this is a great site.

Thanks to all, I definitely learned a thing or two that I didn't know yesterday.