Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by olliedell Quote
Thank you so much Rio! All of that was really useful, especially the part about bidding. A friend advised me to go to car boots, charity shops and markets to look for old lenses on the cheap. With an adapter is pretty much any Pentax lens going to be compatible with a K-r? One of the reasons I want one is I thought all of Pentax's lenses could be put onto a K-r with some kind of adapter.
You don't need an adapter for any K-mount lens. The adapter is only needed for M42 screw mount lenses. K-mount lenses with the A setting will work in all modes, K-mount lenses without the A setting can be used with stop-down metering in M mode. And of course and F or FA series AF lens will work just fine.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Another F series lens to look for is the 35-135.

11-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Cheers 'en? Seascapes and landscapes? You a wes'cun'ry boy too? I've got a couple of the old manual focus lenses nds they work really well. I've got one of these and it's great for landscapes and indoors at the pub and similar as you can fit in most of the table without having to stand up away from the table. PENTAX-M 24mm f2.8 K Lens For KM KX KR K7 K5 MX LX etc | eBay. Don't pay anything like that though, I'd say no more than 50. Despite what he says in the auction they're not THAT rare and come up pretty often. Second hand, pawn and charity shops often have old Pentax lenses for a few quid, and have a look at London Camera Exchange, they have a second-hand section and you can get some fairly good deals there.

What I also do is type in 'Pentax lens' on ebay and do a search on google for any that interest me - often I get a link to one of the review pages on this site. I've picked up a few sub-twenty quid bargains that way, one of them is now my usual lens for holidays, festivals and similar.
11-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

1. I've decided to invest in a Pentax K-r.
2. body with the kit lens
3. A wide-angle lens for shooting landscapes and seascapes
4. a decent zoom lens for nature/sports photography
5. to go to car boots, charity shops and markets to look for old lenses on the cheap.
6. With an adapter is pretty much any Pentax lens going to be compatible with a K-r?
I've taken the liberty of lining up your requirements. First should be an answer to 6: any K-mount lens, not just from Pentax, will fit your K-R although some Ricoh lenses have an annoying little pin that should be removed. Not all will allow for autofocus, some will not allow for autoexposure and very few might not even support wide-open metering and manual focussing.

Then onto the rest:

Point 2 should fit the bill for point 3 perfectly: cheap and decent quality wideangle. No other lens available will give you that range with that quality at that price, full stop.

Point 5 and point 4 are not reconcilable: any K-mount lens you pick up at a car boot sale will not have autofocus and will therefore make it hard for you to successfully render sports.

Once you have defined what you want (which is very good by the way!) you should stick to a combo that delivers it or be dissappointed with the results and end up blaming the camera which would be a crying shame as you made an excellent choice there.

Just my 0.02
11-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Weasel I live in Bude, an hour north of Plymouth. North coast is beautiful and I live in 100 acres of woodland/fields so I need a camera really. Seems a waste to live here and not have a decent camera. I might go and have a browse around the shops of Newcastle (up here for uni).

11-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ps cheers again Mikey, I'll probably invest in that 55-300mm lens as it's likely to last me for a good while. Off topic but why do Pentax build the AF into the body? How come this doesn't mean that the lens are all auto focussed?
11-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Ps cheers again Mikey, I'll probably invest in that 55-300mm lens as it's likely to last me for a good while. Off topic but why do Pentax build the AF into the body? How come this doesn't mean that the lens are all auto focussed?
Now tht is a misconception I've never come across before. Having a focus motor in the body is one thing, having a means to actually moving the lens elements is another. On non-SDM lenses that coupling is a screw on the body that slots into a receptacle (don't know how to better describe it) on the lens that drives wormgears which move lens elements. If the AF motor in the camera spins the screw, lens elements move bringing the image into focus.

On the newer SDM lenses the motor has been moved into the lens itself and the linkage has become a series of electronic contacts on both body and lens. The body tells the motor how much to move and in which direction and voil: focus is achieved.

Older lenses have neither the wormgears and mechanical receptacle to allow the body motor to move the lens elements, nor the electrical contacts and an independent electrical motor to convert the signals from the camera body into movement of the lens elements.

An entirely different beast is the shake reduction of Pentax. Now tht IS always built in to the camera body and does indeed work with every lens ever made for Pentax. The newer lenses identify themselves to the SR system, for the older ones the camera body prompts you to set the focal length of the lens. Success ensured!
11-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A friend advised me to go to car boots, charity shops and markets to look for old lenses on the cheap. With an adapter is pretty much any Pentax lens going to be compatible with a K-r? One of the reasons I want one is I thought all of Pentax's lenses could be put onto a K-r with some kind of adapter.
For evaluating old lenses, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

Ah, I should have mentioned that only certain lenses need adapters. M42 and Russian M39 screwmount lenses; Tamron Adaptall and various T-mount lenses; those are the needy ones. Pervs like me also put long (100mm+) enlarger lenses onto bellows, which may require an adapter, but don't worry about those now.

Good points have been made. If you want to shoot action|sports or wildlife, a fast AF tele is the right tool. Long MF (manual focus) lenses are trickier in such situations -- they take practice. There *IS* a Pentax AF TC (teleconverter) that allows AF with MF lenses. But it focuses slowly and it's not cheap.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-14-2011 at 12:28 PM.
11-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hahah I see, I guess I got muddled up by the shake reduction or something :L I'll do a bit of reading to try and understand it all fully. Thanks for clearing that up :L

11-15-2011, 04:14 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you so much Rio! All of that was really useful, especially the part about bidding. A friend advised me to go to car boots, charity shops and markets to look for old lenses on the cheap. With an adapter is pretty much any Pentax lens going to be compatible with a K-r? One of the reasons I want one is I thought all of Pentax's lenses could be put onto a K-r with some kind of adapter.
You don't even need an adapter unless you are looking for Takumar lenses (that have an M42 thread). One of the great benefits of being a Pentaxian (for me since 1982) is that Pentax has maintained backwards compatibility - without any adapter - to their SMC pentax-FA, -F, -M and -K lens series.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

------The DA18-55 plus DA55-300 is a helluva deal, price-performance-wise. I recommend that pair even though I personally dislike the combination. I shoot a lot between 35-70mm and I hate swapping lenses at 55mm. One way around this is to use a cheap old F35-70, a very crisp and agile lens that can often be found for under US$50. (How to find it cheap: look for MV- or SF- series cams with that 'kit' lens mounted.)

-----
Many other options exist, but those are good places to start. Have fun!
Very interesting. I feel the same way.

And - do I dare tell? - some months ago I had the cheapish SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm "thrown after me" on top of a deal on some M- and K-lenses. The FA is surely very plastic like and maybe a bit too saturated in the camera's standard settings, but autofocus is good, images are crisp, the range suits me excellently for walk-around shots and now I discover, that I actually DO walk around with that lens all the time.
11-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Beware of LBA - lens buying addiction. There is a lot to get to grips with when you get your first DSLR, getting lots of lenses before you've come to terms with using the camera and post-processing.

Do make sure you have lots of hard disk space, do make sure you have a separate backup hard disk, do remember to backup (Synctoy is very good), do take RAW + JPG so that once you get into post-processing you don't find the stunning early shot you took is JPG only. Do consider joining a camera club - it's all to easy to get drawn into image quality without considering image content, and general club activities should help on both scores. You are in the UK, there are plenty to choose from unless you live right out in the sticks. Even then you will still find some.

You could even consider taking the Open University's T189 course - there is still a presentation or two to go, you get a copy of Elements, you qualify for student software (including Adobe products), and most people who have taken the course found it very useful with both the technical and the artistic aspects of photography.

If you want to do nature shots with a long lens you probably need a tripod as well.

Finally 'cheap' and 'good-quality' don't really come in the same sentence when talking about camera lenses.
11-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Cost effective combo...

For Christmas this year I've decided to invest in a Pentax K-r. I'll probably just end up buying the body with the kit lens but I do want a couple of other lenses. A wide-angle lens for shooting landscapes and seascapes, obviously I want a quality lens but I also want it to be as cheap as possible. I also want a decent zoom lens for nature/sports photography, cheap but good quality is what I'm after. Any suggestions as to what lens I should get would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete beginner in the world of d-SLR's, so any advice no matter how obvious it might be will be beneficial. Cheers 'en.
The Pentax 18-55mm kit, DA 55-300, and $75 Raynox DCR 150 close-up lens is a lightweight combination of lenses that is hard to beat.

It will give excellent (contrasty, sharp, great color) fully automatic photos for every scene practical for a hand-held camera - capture everything from a flea to a shot on goal.

I suggest that now is the time to provide yourself with such complete coverage; the extra $75 cost will be well spent the first time you take a great macro photo.

If necessary I'd choose the DA 55-200 + Raynox over the DA 55-300 alone.
11-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cats how much HD space are we talking here? I have 1,5tbs with about 1,3tb free to use, surely that's plenty? Also once I've got the camera should I also acquire photoshop?
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I did have a look but that's pretty expensive, I was thinking there'd be a pentax lens close in price to the Tamron (130) that you could recommend.
I started with the 80-320 then onto the Tamron 70-300 (excellent lens for the money), the 55-300 and now the Sigma 50-150 & DA*300 have replaced that. I would have no hesitation whatsoever recommending the amazing value for money Tamron which has good sharpness and even better a 1:2 macro mode which is very good indeed and will save you the cost of a macro lens for flowers, larger insects etc. for the immediate future. You should be able to get it new for much closer to 100 if you look around. The 55-300 is a incrementally better lens but then costs nearly x3 more (though again is a superb lens for the money).
11-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
should I also acquire photoshop?
That is a debate in itself in this forum. Many members are very happy with the out of camera results. Most of the time they need to use the custom menu in the camera to adjust the saturation and sharpness to their liking.

Myself, I shoot in raw and post process everything. It is much easier to correct white balance in raw and to bring detail out of the shadows in an image. I use Paint Shop Pro and it has 99.9% of the tools that Photoshop has and is generally cheaper.

Tim
11-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Cats how much HD space are we talking here? I have 1,5tbs with about 1,3tb free to use, surely that's plenty? Also once I've got the camera should I also acquire photoshop?
Sounds like you have plenty, but do remember hard disk drives are not forever.

For now I'd suggest you have more than enough to do getting to grips with a DSLR. See how you get on, and if you think you need Photoshop in the future see if you can wangle a student copy. In fact the student copy is so much cheaper you can (at the moment) buy an cheap Open University course to quality, and PS, and have change left from what a retail copy of PS would cost.