Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #1

I've torn a flexible cable - advice required

I've just converted a K-7 to IR, by removing the original IR-blocking filter and replacing it with an IR-passing filter. Everything went back ok, and the camera is functional - except as I was reassembling it the main board slipped and I've torn part of a flexible cable. This is part of the shake reduction circuitry - the effect is that the SR just clunks and bumps the sensor around but it won't actually settle.

The location of the tear is shown below, part of the cable near the bottom right with the square barcode. The main cable is fine, it is the side piece with two conductors that has torn away, as ringed in the picture.

The two conductors in the broken piece go to actual soldered cables just visible under the edge of the larger ribbon on the right. The issue is to get those cables connected to the two tracks in the main cable.

Any ideas and/or advice is most welcome - the camera can't be used without that connection. Unless I can turn SR off completely so the sensor is just a dumb fixed sensor - maybe unplugging that cable completely?

11-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Contact Johnsosns - they were amazing at sending me diagrams and prices for my k10d. Sadly it got terminally broken before I got around to mending it.

The prices were very reasonable too - I needed replacement flexible cable bits for the program dial on my K10d and it was only 13 or so delivered for three parts.
11-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the tear is right where your black line ends, then it should be an easy fix.
Take an Exact-o knife (hobby knife) and carefully!!! scrape off the top film on the flex board, exposing the copper circuit-run.
Might want to put a Popsicle stick or something similar under the flex run to support it.
Pre-tin the runs using minimal heat. Get some AWG 16 or 18 multi-strand copper wire and use a single strand from that to bridge the tear.
When done, place a piece of electrical tape on top of the repaired area.
If you can not solder, then a trip to the shop is in order.

Electro-Static-Discharge, ESD, can wreck havoc, make sure you are grounded properly.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.
11-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Soldering flexible printed circuit boards is tricky. Use a low wattage soldering iron (15 watts).

If the replacement part is available and reasonably priced suggest you go that route instead.

Chris

11-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Soldering flexible printed circuit boards is tricky.
Very true, might be a good idea to take apart and practice with an old VCR first.
11-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
Looking at the tear I think I'll be able to attempt some sort of fix, but this morning I've also established that the camera is functional with that connector completely unplugged.
The sensor is in its non-suspended position, so that's not ideal, but Live View works, contrast AF works (the important thing!) and it takes pictures in IR. It focusses any lens reliably in contrast AF, which is much better than the kludge using debug mode to set the phase AF adjustment for each lens on the K20D I converted before.

I may just try the camera for a few days with a dumb fixed sensor to see how I get on. I can come back to the flexible pcb issue if I feel like it, but Plan B seems to be ok at the moment.

Many thanks for the replies!
11-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm assuming it's a pretty low current flowing through that cable, so have you considered stuff like this? Wire Glue - electrically conductive Not tried it myself as most of the electrical stuff I've done has been fairly high current, but for a little job like that it might be worth a pop to risk a fiver.
11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I'm assuming it's a pretty low current flowing through that cable, so have you considered stuff like this? Wire Glue - electrically conductive Not tried it myself as most of the electrical stuff I've done has been fairly high current, but for a little job like that it might be worth a pop to risk a fiver.
Sounds like the stuff used to fix breaks in the old heated windscreens. I'll have a look - thanks.
The camera with non-suspended sensor is working, I posted a shot earlier in the posted photos section: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/165551-black-white-first...ied-k-7-a.html.